Phantom Patches

Pippin

Ok so how do I tell if an F 4 Phantom patch is a real issued patch or just a novelty patch.

There are so many of them out there.

Thanks.

You're right, there are many out there. And they are a favorite target of the copy cats. Until you learn the ropes, the best thing to do is show them to others you trust, or post them here. There just isn't any simple way to explain all the nuances of what to look for. Wish it was easier, but it's not, sorry!

Randy

I was afraid of that.

I dont have anyone near me that collects. I was just looking on ebay and reading the listings. Got any tips on reputable sellers?

I do. PM me and I'll send you a few. Probably 9 out of 10 F-4 patches on eBay are fakes, repros, etc. Real SEA era ones are fairly costly. There are also several series of ones done in the 90s that people like but were done by a guy that liked F-4stuff, so they were not actual unit pieces. It can all be a real minefield. I could go on for pages about all this but just don't have the time. I have quite a few in my collection, you can see many of them here: usmilitarypatches.com

It's still under construction, but there are lots of good ones there for comparison.

Randy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Randy,

So who are the reputable sellers that you know?

Besides the F-4 Phantom I am interested in A-10 Warthog and any patches with a Devil type character on them,

Thanks,Dale

Most f-4 phantom patches are, (moral, novelty), patches. I suppose it depends on personal definition. My favorite patches I received while on active duty were not allowed to be worn on my uniform. Still some were generated by the Squadron. Some were originally created and distributed by a specific vendor, such as McDonald. Many are then later copied and reproduced locally. Sometimes an in country example is more sought after than an original.