Extensive Grouping to a WWII Pacific Artillery Officer

McDermut99

McDermut99

It has been a number of months since I acquired this grouping, but with school winding down I finally have the chance to start going through it all. The grouping came from the estate of the late U.S. Army Captain Hub/ert E. Kla/mm. I bought the entire grouping directly from the family over the span of 3 or 4 visits to the estate. As the picture shows, it is a very extensive grouping, consisting mostly of items from his WWII to early 1950's service. In total I have 9 foot lockers/foot locker sized boxes storing it all, not counting a couple shoeboxes of insignia and smaller items. What I know so far is that he was in the Pacific Theater as an artillery officer serving in the 923rd FA Battalion and the 105th FA Regiment during the war. After the war he became a reservist and served stateside until his retirement in the 1960's. According to the family everything had been stored in a garage ever since he had retired, untouched for many years. From what I have seen skimming the surface there are lots of uniforms from different periods, as well as equipment and ephemera. It seems that he kept almost everything from his service (except for his dress green uniform apparently). As I start the process of going through the boxes I plan on sharing what is found on the Forum and shedding more light on Capt. Kla/mm's service.

post-153059-0-00840500-1494646430_thumb.jpg

Wow! Extensive is putting it mildly. That one will be a lot of fun, looking forward to more photos!

Yamma hamma. I have to agree with Catfishcraig. If it was mine there would be 9 empty foot lockers and a living room out of an episode of Hoarders.

McDermut99

Thank you all for the comments! I must confess that between the time that I bought the grouping and a couple days ago I have stolen a few sporadic glances through a random trunk or box, but only at the uniform or piece at the top of the trunk. I did also get a general idea of what I had as I was loading and unloading it all (It took multiple trips using a wheelbarrow to get the stuff not already in trunks). 90% of this group spent about 40 years in a cramped, hot freestanding closet or trunks in an unventilated garage!

First pictures are going to be posted tonight!

McDermut99

The first item up is Capt. Klam/m's WWII 89th Inf. Div. helmet liner with a painted on 1st Lt. bar on the front. There is a note in between the suspension and liner shell that reads:

1st LT. H. E. Klam/m

Co. B 353 Inf.

89th Div.

The paper is too large and too fragile for me to be able to remove it without removing the suspension. The leather sweatband is named as well and reads:

Lt. Klam/m B 353 INF.

This was the first item that I saw when the closet was opened. Unfortunately I have not found the shell. I believe he attained the rank of Captain during the war, so this liner was probably either never updated insignia wise or was left stateside at some point after he ranked up.

post-153059-0-45592700-1494894385_thumb.jpg

McDermut99

Next up is his pair of Dehner riding boots with a pair of cavalry spurs. I was able to contact the Dehner Company and look up the serial number on the interior of the boot. This pair was custom made in 1940 for the University of Missouri in Columbia. Capt. Klam/m graduated from ROTC in 1940, which leaves me to believe that he and his fellow graduates each received a pair. Quite an expense in 1940!

post-153059-0-81517800-1494896611_thumb.jpg

McDermut99

Pre-WWII to early war sam browne belt. The only marking is "France" on the underside of the sabre hangar. I've been looking for his sabre but nothing has come up yet unfortunately.

Is there any way to determine the maker?

post-153059-0-06129400-1494896985_thumb.jpg

post-153059-0-93857100-1494896999_thumb.jpg

dogfacedsoldier

The University of Missouri ROTC program was set up as a ROTC Artillery program that graduated Artillery officers, for many years Horse Artillery officers came from the school. I knew a man who graduated in 1941 or 42 or so, he was also an arty officer, who transferred to the AAF. Last summer I bought an extensive estate sale grouping from a man who graduated from Columbia (MU) in 1943. He had a McClellan, all the horse gear, Sam Browne's, saber gear, etc.Two pairs of boots, riding pants, both cadet, and officer. I also have his fencing sabers, masks, etc. No surprise he was in the Arty. I would guess the program lost the horses in 42 or 43. Other horse gear from the college used to appear in that area (Columbia).

McDermut99 you can get the mold off the boots with a soft cloth like a wash cloth and alcohol. Just wipe it away.

Ronnie

McDermut99

McDermut99 you can get the mold off the boots with a soft cloth like a wash cloth and alcohol. Just wipe it away.

Ronnie

Ronnie,

Thanks for the advice! Some of the mold has just dried up and come off naturally, but there is still a decent amount left.

• 1 month later...
WWIIman1944

If it's ok with you, could you send pics of the pairs of boots? I'm on the hunt and I can't really see them that good in the top picture. Thanks!

The tradition of cavalry boots was that only Seniors in the ROTC program were allowed to wear them. There was normally a military ball held at the end of the school year. Juniors who were moving in the their senior year of college and expecting commissions upon completion of their ROTC training would be allowed to wear their newly purchased boots for the first time at this dance. They would then wear these boots through their senior year.

The Dehner Boot Company of Omaha, Nebraska was the major player when it came to manufacturing these boots. As you have found out, they are still in business and they kept very detailed records of each boot order. This company still makes boots for the Corps of Cadets at Texas A&M and I believe that the soon to be seniors still wear their boots for the first time at an end of the school year dance.

I would assume that the Same Browne belt was cadet worn. They usually checked out swords from the armory at the various universities for wear during formations etc.

Great grouping!

Allan

• 3 weeks later...

The tradition of cavalry boots was that only Seniors in the ROTC program were allowed to wear them. There was normally a military ball held at the end of the school year. Juniors who were moving in the their senior year of college and expecting commissions upon completion of their ROTC training would be allowed to wear their newly purchased boots for the first time at this dance. They would then wear these boots through their senior year.

The Dehner Boot Company of Omaha, Nebraska was the major player when it came to manufacturing these boots. As you have found out, they are still in business and they kept very detailed records of each boot order. This company still makes boots for the Corps of Cadets at Texas A&M and I believe that the soon to be seniors still wear their boots for the first time at an end of the school year dance.

I would assume that the Same Browne belt was cadet worn. They usually checked out swords from the armory at the various universities for wear during formations etc.

Great grouping!

Allan

Thank you for the information! Them checking out swords from an armory would explain why I never found one. He kept quite literally everything, and not just in regards to his military service.