Camo netting

Lawguns

Can you tell what this camo netting is with out me dragging it out and opening it up? I can dig it out but did not have the room for it. Also does it have any value? It's rather hard to box and ship so before I try to drag it out and sell it I figured I would ask if it was worth it.

post-167020-0-17673800-1494635679_thumb.jpg

Battling Bastard

From the way you describe it, must be very big. It could be artillary camo. Im not sure if you can cut it to pieces and sell it for helmet camo.

I guess you could do that. It's hard to tell from the pic but there is a large duffle bag on top of he camo net. I looks like WW2 or Korea era. But I do t really have a reference to check it against. When I have more time and space I can get it down and open it up. I just did not know if it was worth it.

TheGrayGhost

Looks like a 2" net with burlap scrim. Standard construction for WWII, not sure about Korea. Not a rare item, but certainly not common either.

I wouldn't go cutting it up just yet. There are plenty of people looking for complete nets.

Size and condition will be the biggest factors on value which you won't know till you lay it out. These can go for a few hundred, depending.

I wouldn't go cutting it up. Plently of collectors would be interested in it, including myself.

I wont cut it up. I will get it photoed and figure out what it is worth.

I was told once there was so much camo scrim made for WW2 it continued to be used for decades.

Knew a surplus dealer who had 6-8 pallets of the scrim still in original rolls and multi colors.

I agree with the others, looks like a WW2 net. They were issued in several different sizes and used for decades. I think I read somewhere the nylon netting was introduced in the mid to late 70s.

As for value, this is one of those cases that size does matter, but bigger may not be better. You said you didn't want to unfold it, but that will be the best way to get full value. Measure the dimensions and take note whether the net is rectangular, trapazoid, or a polygon. That will help identify whether it has been cut up. Unfolding will also tell you how much scrim is on the net which could effect value as well.

Good luck!

I was told once there was so much camo scrim made for WW2 it continued to be used for decades.

Knew a surplus dealer who had 6-8 pallets of the scrim still in original rolls and multi colors.

It's easy to find now, 10 years ago not so much, I remember having a hard time finding original period scrim for my helmets. Now I have 10 rolls. Multiple colors. Brought them from a guy who had hundreds of rolls.

Here is the picture of it stretched out. It measured apx 30'X17'. I think I might have been able to stretch it out more with 4 people but I just did this alone.

It has been cut at some point. There is only factory edging on 2 sides.

post-167020-0-74977200-1494881781_thumb.jpg

That's a great looking net! Lots of scrim on there in the correct pattern.

According to FM5-20 (1944), those nets came in 15'x15', 14'x29', 17'x35', 29'x29' and 36'x44'. If we assume yours is the 17x35, the FM says it requires 6-8 rolls of 2"x300' of material and takes about 11 man hours to garnish. As you are looking at the photo, the right side seems a little light in scrim while the bottom left is a little heavy. This could mean the net was cut along that side or that it was part of a multiple net setup.

FM5-20 (1940) gives the following sizes:

machine gun & mortar - 12'x12'

AT gun & prime mover (Dodge WC or jeep) - 22'x22'

light tank - 30'x30'

medium tank - 45'x45'

field artillery & trucks - 36'x44'

That net should make a jeep or Dodge WC owner very happy!

Peter

I don't think it would stretch an extra 5' that might be a little much. Also did the come with all 4 sides with edging or did they make them beget and cut them to spec?

So any ideas what it should sell for. I know shipping won't be cheap due to weight and box size.

TheGrayGhost

Which two sides have the factory edging (I can only see it on the right side in your picture)? Could give us a better idea of what it was originally.

Because of the size and density of the camo, I would guess this is worth at least 400. However, like you said, shipping could be a problem. Luckily for you, IN is close to a lot of people in the reenactment hobby who would probably be interested as well.

I know the picture is a little wonky, based on how I took it and how is was changed. But what would be the top and the right side as the picture or the sections with the least camo are where the factory edges are.