JAPANESE OCCUPATION CURRENCY

firefighter

That stamp was an attempt by the Filipinos that had been forced to accept the Japanese money to get paid back for it in real money. There are about 8-9 different stamps, various groups trying to get paid for their bad banknotes. That did not work, Nobody was making up the debts from Japanese cash. Those stamps are interesting and some people collect them but they have no real value.

Some interesting currency. The 100 is stamped on the back 7c0a385d4d0bf21810bb73934195bb54.jpg3956779f5311c93b2f5fc364b4258794.jpg

firefighter

That stamp was an attempt by the Filipinos that had been forced to accept the Japanese money to get paid back for it in real money. There are about 8-9 different stamps, various groups trying to get paid for their bad banknotes. That did not work, Nobody was making up the debts from Japanese cash. Those stamps are interesting and some people collect them but they have no real value.

Thank you, I appreciate the information

• 2 weeks later...

The counterfeit Philippine notes are much less common than genuine notes. Most genuine Philippine JIM are a dime a dozen.

Despite the relative scarcity of the counterfeits the Philippine counterfeits do not command much money. This is because most dealers do not look for them and it is possible to find them in junk boxes. You may go through 1000 notes before you find one but they are out there.

How common are Philippine JIM notes? Common enough that I will send some to the first five people who PM me with the answer to this military numismatic trivia question:

What phrase was printed on the back of genuine Philippine JIM notes by the US psyops branch and then airdropped on the Philippines?

I don't know if this question ever got answered but the phrase was "The Co-Prosperity Sphere - What is it worth?"

Capt.Confederacy

Great topic. I got into the area of WW2 currency in the Philippines a few years ago, and, while the money doesn't bring a lot, it's still a fascinating field of study, especially dealing with the guerrilla currency that was issued in defiance of the Japanese-backed money. (From the stories I was told, if a Filipino refused to accept guerrilla money say in payment for supplies, that person's store would be burned to the ground. If a Filipino got caught with the guerrilla currency by Japanese troops, he would likely be beheaded on the spot.) If anyone's interested, I can post an example or two of this money.