OSS Weapons

digi-shots

Maybe there is a difference if one has been fired and inert compared to one that hasn't.

Yes, that is the answer. The stinger is a one-shot, non-reloadable device. Once it has been fired it is no longer a firearm.

Here is the one in my collection, formerly owned by Rex Applegate. It was acquired from a friend who helped handle his estate.

PICT0156.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

For all the folks that have letters on their OSS weapons shipped to Property Officer, Supply Division, Fowler Bldg,Rosslyn, here is where they went.

post-9148-0-63186000-1520352364_thumb.jpg

post-9148-0-76751000-1520352386.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Havent posted in this thread for a while...

The item here is a Spring Cosh - a close combat weapon similar to a club or baton that was developed and used by the OSS.

Also pictured here is a photo taken from John Brunners book on OSS Weapons and a brief description from his book. The drawing is also from his book and was dated July 1942.

It is constructed in such a way that it may be readily concealed on the person. It is made up of two concentric heavy springs which extend as a telescope when it is used. At the end of the smaller spring there is a heavy metal knob which is the striking piece. The Cosh may be concealed up the sleeve or in any part of the clothing. A sudden swinging of the arm causes the knob and the two spring sections to extend.

If there are any vintage movie buffs out there, the Cosh can be seen during training in the 1946 movie, 13 Rue Madeleine with James Cagney who played the part of an OSS agent.

Thanks for looking!

post-4361-0-66866800-1550523506_thumb.jpeg

post-4361-0-92367100-1550523515_thumb.jpeg

post-4361-0-50443200-1550523539_thumb.jpeg

Thanks, Kevin

The movie is a good one, based on the life of Peter Ortiz (unbelievable guy!). I almost did a double take watching the movie when One of the agents demonstrated the cosh... a weapon that is hardly ever mentioned.

You should read these if you want to read some first hand action of an OSS agent:

Cloak & Dagger, The Secret of the OSS by Corey Ford & Allistar MacBain

Mission Marcel Proust, The Story of an Unusual OSS Undertaking, by Waller Booth

The books I listed are for Mike Burke. He had a very active OSS history and post war history.

His book, Outrageous Good Fortune, detail his life.

The other 2 books are his OSS missions.

He was a technical advisor on the movie Cloak & Dagger.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Awesome collections guys.  There are several really rare items here, and in nice condition too.

Does anyone know what the value of an original WWII OSS garrote would be these days?

Not trying to be facetious but there is no way to know how to value it since they rarely change hands.  This is a case where a seller and a buyer have to negotiate a price that they are both happy with.

Does that go for the Beano grenades as well? I have only recently found out about these and I think they are really neat. I think there is/was one for sale recently. What did the last one sold go for?

Thanks, Scott

Thanks kwill, I agree.  Just got offered one, but had not paid any attention to them previously, so was not sure how rare they are either. 

Now my question is about originality.  Is there any way to identify the original WWII OSS garrotes and their cases?  I don't have Brunner's book, or any other on the SOE weapons yet, so no reference material really, and the internet didn't really help for good close-up pictures either.

digi-shots posted a good picture of a garrote earlier in this thread.  These look like they would be pretty easy to fake so it is smart to be cautious.