Does Anyone Recall WW1 Purple Heart To 'Sam DiRobbio' ?

dpast32

Hello Guys, I just posted this query yesterday, but I think that perhaps I titled it wrong. I should have included the recipient's name in the title, so any Forom members that did know something about this medal could reply if they were so inclined. My primary interest here is to confirm the correct WIA date. I currently have 2 dates noted, & am hoping that perhaps a previous owner may be able to verify either one or the other date as correct. THANK YOU.

Regards, dpast32 ( [email protected] )

Posted Yesterday, 01:19 PM

I recently picked up another WW1 era PHM for the collection, & could use some assistance in verfying the WIA date. This Heart, No. 18004 is officially named to a 'Sam DiRobbio', of North provenance, RI. Sam was assigned to Company I ( 3rd Battalion ) of the 78th Division's 310th Infantry. When purchased, it was accompanied by one of the little PHM cards that many of the Forum members use with their Hearts. It notes his WIA date as 16 October 1918, along with his unit assignment, Co. I, 310th Inf. OK, so far so good. However, I just received his State Veteran's File from the State Archives, & it notes his WIA date as being 18 October 1918 ? OK, here's where I started wondering. Usually, I tend to go by any official data, such as with the Archives date I have. But, I would feel better if I determined where the former owner had found the date he used ? I've just started to research this Heart, & figured that verifying the WIA date would be a good place to start. Sooooo, if anyone here on the USMF is able to assist me in this matter, and or happens to recall who the previous owner of this PHM was, I'd be very interested in hearing from them. ( Only to ask where he determined the WIA date he listed. ) I've also E-Mailed the seller in the case that he was the one who filled out the data card that accompanied it, but I just have a feeling that it originated with a prior owner. ) Any input or comments will be appreciated. THANK YOU

Regards, dpast32 ( [email protected] )

Hi Tom, THANKS for the reply ! Yes, exactly. The same kind, @ 2" X 3" maybe, used by some of the sellers here to list the basic data of the recipient. Below are the 3 scans from where I got it. The 1st link shows the card in question. The card states 10-16-1918, while the RI State Archives card indicates 10-18-1918. I tend to side with the RISA, but I like to check all my data, just an old habit ! Any thought or comments are always appreciated. BTW, I hope you're feeling a little better these days. Take care Tom,

Best, Dom

http://www.baystatemilitaria.com/WWI/DSCN7504q.JPG

http://www.baystatemilitaria.com/WWI/DSCN7505q.JPG

http://www.baystatemilitaria.com/WWI/DSCN7506q.JPG

I'd vote for the RI State Archives date. Always take the word of official documents over what a collector/dealer writes! (Sorry, Robert!!)

THANKS Guys for all the kind replies. Be advised though, the elusive 'card writer' just may in fact be correct, maybe ? I had a chance last night to delve into the 310th Infantry's unit history, & from what I was able discern from that somewhat brief study, it appears that the 310th's 3rd Battalion ( Which included Company I ) entered the line on October 16th, & was among the first troops to 'go over the top' on that fist day of the assault. So now, we know for sure that he was in active combat on the 16th. OK, it looks like he remained in combat until the night of 17 / 18 October, when his 3rd Battalion was officially, withdrawn from the line, & transferred to the Battalion Reserve. ( Due to having suffered 191 casualties within the preceeding 36 hours. ) Soooo, from what little data I've read, it does indeed appear somewhat more plausible that his WIA date was on October 16th, NOT the 18th as indicated to the State Archives. That's why I'd love to hear from this Heart's former owner or seller, just to determine exactly where he obtained thew October 16th date ? Hey, we all know that many times official records can be incorrect ! I myself learned that fact when attempting to research my very first RVN era PHM. It was an early USMC KIA Heart, with a date of 16 July 1966. As I began to document it, that's when the casualty date began to conflict with what I was finding. It really drove me nuts, as I began obtaining more & more documents from NARA & the USMC Hist. Section, I knew something was wrong. None of the data I obtained noted any KIA's from L Company on July 16th ? So finally, I started to obtain recollections from his fellow Marines that were present during the first few days of Op. Hastings. Now the mystery began to clear up. Finally, as I pieced together several statements of the participants, I received an E-mail from a guy who was sitting right next to 'my KIA' when he ( my Marine ) received a fatal GSW to the head from an NVA sniper ! ( It may have been a stray round, but there's numerous reports of enemy sniper acivity on that day & throughout the entire operation. ) This event occurred on 15 October 1966, NOT the 16th as officially reported by the USMC. So, there you have it. To this day, if you look him up on one the RVN War Dead sites, you will indeed find his death listed as 16 October 1966 ! In reality does it really matter ? Well, I guess not. It does create a problem to us collectors though ! What all the above story is meant to show is that ANY official or semi-official entity has, can, & will continue to make mistakes within their respective duties. Yes, they usually tend to be correct, BUT, always verify & confirm all your data whenever possible. OK, I'll shut up now. Sorry for the over-length post. THANK YOU

All The Best, dpast32 ( [email protected] )