USAAF Service Pilots

Guest caf_ffi

Guest caf_ffi

Anyone have information about AAF Svc Pilots criteria: selection process, how grade (rank) determined, numbers during the war, duties and operational history? I know that these were high-time civilian fliers brought into the svc; beyond that, much info is contradictory. Any help is much appreciated.

Anyone have information about AAF Svc Pilots criteria: selection process, how grade (rank) determined, numbers during the war, duties and operational history? I know that these were high-time civilian fliers brought into the svc; beyond that, much info is contradictory. Any help is much appreciated.

A lot of history to go over, but, this link will get you to the WASP story:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_Airforce_Service_Pilots

And here is a personal version:

http://www.helena-schrader.com/exsisters.html

And, this deals with the WASP predecessors, the WAFs:

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/factsheet...eet.asp?id=1563

I'm looking for a more lengthy FAQ official USAF historical office's version...

Bluehawk,

WASPS were not Service Pilots like the men classified as such. Those are 2 different catagories and Service Pilots were commissioned officers in the AAF, while WASPS were employees of MS. J. Cochran and not given veteran status till just a few years ago.

Men commissioned as Service Pilots were mostly pre-war commercial pilots, who because of age and other limitatiuons, were not accepted as front line pilots, but used mostly to ferry aircraft overseas and in some cases fly transports in war zones.

Bluehawk,

WASPS were not Service Pilots like the men classified as such. Those are 2 different catagories and Service Pilots were commissioned officers in the AAF, while WASPS were employees of MS. J. Cochran and not given veteran status till just a few years ago.

Men commissioned as Service Pilots were mostly pre-war commercial pilots, who because of age and other limitatiuons, were not accepted as front line pilots, but used mostly to ferry aircraft overseas and in some cases fly transports in war zones.

I know... I was just referencing the WASPs for him.

Wasn't quite sure from the original post which direction it was headed... since what they and the WASPs did (e.g. ferrying) was often so similar.

The WWII "Official Guide to the Army Air Forces - 1944" under Aeronautical Ratings, it states:

"Service Pilot - Obtainable by individuals between 18 and 45 who have passed phsical qualifications and who possess outstanding qualifications for the performance of service pilot duties as defined in AAF Reg, 35-23*. Completion of flight test and professional examination, certain flying time, and a recommendation by a board of officers is required."

Senior Service Pilot - Obtainable by a rated service pilot who has 1500 hours' logged time according to War Department records, and has 5 years experience as a licensed pilot with the CAA."

*In order to fully answer the question someone has to come up w/ AAF Reg. 35-23.

Hope this helps a bit.

Bobgee

*In order to fully answer the question someone has to come up w/ AAF Reg. 35-23.

Cannot get that online yet, trying though. Unless someone here has a hard copy of those regs in their library, I can ask the USAF historical office for it... but that usually takes a fair amount of time, in days.