Pair of Liberty Bell Battalion Ike's: 776th AAA Bn.

Timberwolf

Timberwolf

Hi all,

Not often do you find a pair of uniforms to guys in the same battalion let along a smaller AAA Bn. I've had the uniform of Loy Hodges (BSM, PH) of C. Battery for a few years, as I've always liked 9th AF AAA related items but thanks to a fellow forum member (Thanks Ken!) I was able to add another 776th AAA ike jacket to the fold. Cpl Frank Garlis served in A Battery as a cpl. and included with his uniform was his dogtags and unit history. Hope you all enjoy!

post-19184-0-74226900-1494289959.jpg

post-19184-0-74316500-1494289971.jpg

post-19184-0-17224800-1494289982_thumb.jpg

post-19184-0-62364500-1494289993_thumb.jpg

Can we see more of the DI? a close up of the front and rear, looks like a theater made number.

This unit was indeed a 3rd Army Troop Unit. Unit must of been reassigned some time towards the end of the war and assigned to the 9th Air Force, no doubt to protect it's airfields on the continent.

https://books.google.com/books?id=IrPVW0L9D30C&pg=PA329&lpg=PA329&dq=776th+AAA+Bn.&source=bl&ots=dfvNvu-JDc&sig=2PreDQYHbMkwlzIHdZ7WaJi22TE&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjA6Y637eHTAhUK5oMKHV7RAlIQ6AEIPzAH#v=onepage&q=776th%20AAA%20Bn.&f=false

• 2 weeks later...

Hey found two different single examples of the DI, both Poellath made, one with a Dark Blue shield the other Light Blue, is your Poellaths too?

The Dark Blue example.

post-34986-0-18116000-1495423855.jpgpost-34986-0-62442600-1495423863.jpg

• 2 years later...

Here's a period photo of a soldier wearing the 776th DUI's and a Belgian Fourragere (?). Note beading around his Ninth Air Force SSI. The info I found says he was PFC William Brown of B Battery.

post-1761-0-97170000-1580215730_thumb.jpg

Timberwolf, Sean posted a GI with one, so is there any mention in the unit yearbook that mentions either a French or Belgian Rope. not seeing a listing for the 776th AAA Bn with one in GO 43 1950 WWII Foreign Unit Awards.

post-19184-0-22180000-1494290147.jpgpost-1761-0-97170000-1580215730.jpg

• 3 months later...

This was my great grandfather’s unit. The book you have, if you look at it he is one of the men in the pictures right in the front. Weldon Morrison was his name. I’ve talked to members that are still around,  and I found out they were at dachau.  My great grandfather only ever talk to the war once, and I talked with a widow of one of the men who were married 50+ years and he never mentioned one thing about it, she never knew he was there. 

This was my great grandfather’s unit. The book you have, if you look at it he is one of the men in the pictures right in the front. Weldon Morrison was his name. I’ve talked to members that are still around,  and I found out they were at dachau.  My great grandfather only ever talk to the war once, and I talked with a widow of one of the men who were married 50+ years and he never mentioned one thing about it, she never knew he was there. 

Also an interesting fact, the grandson of the man who wrote that book was the youngest person to summit Everest at the time. He tragically died a little less than a year ago in an avalanche. 

Timberwolf
51 minutes ago, 776aaa said:

Thanks! Been a while since I've looked at this thread, do you have any of your grandfather's items? Would definitely be interested in seeing them!

I have a photo album full of pictures. Of France, Belgium, and Germany. He also has pictures of General Patton, his Cadillac, and bulldog.Unfortunately his uniform is long gone, thrown away when he passed away because it was eaten by Moths.