1917 Mills cartridge belt- who would do this?

Datreedude

Datreedude

Hey all,

I found the dated 1916/17 Mills cartridge belt in a house I was cleaning out. I got all excited when I found it, but then my heart sank when I opened it....someone had removed all of the pockets, and cut off all of the tops! Who or why would someone do this? Any ideas? Better question is, what to do with it now?Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

TheGrayGhost

Who knows! Military wasn't always "valuable" like it is now. It would be like cutting up a pair of modern BDUs, no one would bat an eye.

What is it good for. Restoration? Parts? It's not trash by any means.

From the looks of the fabric and the width, that may have been a Hospital Corps belt and not a cartridge belt. Still a shame, though.

Datreedude

It was a cartridge belt, the top edge you can see where the flaps were cut off, and there is stitching holes where the pouch bottoms were.

I still love the belt, it's not in terrible condition otherwise, I suppose I will just get some pouches to attach, and salvage it the best I can.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

'Flage Guy

That looks like the remains of the Enlisted Medical Belt. Dang it, I don't have any pics in the files.
Like the other guys said, that happened to a LOT of surplus clothing and gear years ago.

'Flage Guy

Got some pics of the one here, but only have 1 of them downsized for the Forum at this point.

Yup, looks like that's what you've got- the Enlisted Man's Medical Belt.

post-3226-0-09123300-1494309660_thumb.jpg