US Army DI Verification/Confirmation Needed - Help Please

John F.

Hello, Can anyone confirm that this DI is for the 2nd Ordnance Company, 2nd Inf Division? That identification was written on the back of the DI. I looked in the ASMIC DUI Charge list under Red; Eagle, Falcon and Hawk but to no avail. I also couldn't find anything online for the 2nd Ord Co. I would imagine because of the color and design that the DI it would be for a Field or Anti-Aircraft Artillery unit but I have been wrong before.

Thanks,

John

post-8650-0-42589700-1494255164_thumb.jpg

The DUI is currently for the 2nd Maintenance Company.

The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 2nd Ordnance Company on 17 March 1939. It was redesignated for the 2nd Maintenance Company on 26 June 1968.

Crimson is the color used for maintenance units. The alerion is taken from the arms of Lorraine where the 2nd Ordnance Company had most of its WW1 service.

It is described as a crimson alerion and is to be worn in pairs (left and right facing).

Information is from the US Army Institute of Heraldry website. I don't know if the unit has anything to do with the 2nd Division.

atb:

Thank you for the confirmation and the background info. I had to Google "aileron"... The description of the DI is in the ASMIC Charge List on page 4 Under "AILERION Red" .

• 2 years later...

Would a non color bearing unit like this have this seemly authorized DI whether in WWII or the 60s? I'm getting the feeling this is originally for a Pre War Regimental sized organization, but which one?. And that the TIOH info is in error. Can't look up DIs on the TIOH anymore it seems.

Capistrano states DI approved 2nd Ord Company 15 Jan 40; separated from 2nd ID 1939” served in ZI WW 2 as separate unit. Capistrano DI of US Army 1939-1946 Vol III AAC Engr Sig and Ord

Yes, you can search TIOH again, however, they have no listing for unit.

Capistrano states DI approved 2nd Ord Company 15 Jan 40; separated from 2nd ID 1939” served in ZI WW 2 as separate unit. Capistrano DI of US Army 1939-1946 Vol III AAC Engr Sig and Ord

Yes, you can search TIOH again, however, they have no listing for unit.

Thanks Tred, this makes it one of those out of the ordinary ones then. Right on the new TIOH defaulf site, was having dffculyt in finding what to click, as it is a bit different from the old page.

Here's the main Menu for Badges and stuff.

https://tioh.army.mil/Search.aspx

Thanks Tred, this makes it one of those out of the ordinary ones then. Right on the new TIOH defaulf site, was having dffculyt in finding what to click, as it is a bit different from the old page.

Here's the main Menu for Badges and stuff.

https://tioh.army.mil/Search.aspx

Click on Heraldry and then Uniformed Services, which gives the old extensive menu.

According to Capistrano, there are a lot of WW-era ord companies with DIs.

Click on Heraldry and then Uniformed Services, which gives the old extensive menu.

post-34986-0-22078500-1581300237.png

Salvage Sailor

Aye,

Example: 74th Ordnance Company (Depot), Regular Army, June 1, 1913–June 30, 1939 Aliamanu Crater (Fort Shafter) - Hawaiian Ordnance Depot, T.H.

Didn't see this one listed on the TIOH website - Lineage is here

That's a very nice Red Falcon DI posted by the OP

74th Ordnance Company (Depot) DUI 000.jpg