B-17 Pilot Takes Last Flight...

IMPERIAL QUEST

brandon_rss18

What an amazing story and great man. I would be lying if I said I didnt shed a tear or two. These are the kind of things that make me proud to collect in the field that I do. Thank you so much Steven. thumbsup.gif

Thanks so much for the link and story. My father, now 84, just did the same thing 2 weeks ago in Lexington Ky. aboard the "Aluminum Overcast". He was a ball turret gunner and had not flown in a B-17 for 63 years! He was similarly moved by the experience and only wished he had done so sooner. Thanks again.

Flying in a B-17 is quite an experience. I also flew in the Aluminum Overcast this summer. I just can't imagine being at 30+ thousand feet and having people shooting at me to boot.

IMPERIAL QUEST
Flying in a B-17 is quite an experience. I also flew in the Aluminum Overcast this summer. I just can't imagine being at 30+ thousand feet and having people shooting at me to boot.

@ All- You are most welcome.

Jim,

I am happy to say that my mother is booking a flight on the B-17 "Thunderbird" as a birthday gift this year... :o. Between this, my WWI aviator's tunic acquisition, and the birth of my daughter...well, what else is left? It all down hill from here. :lol:

IMPERIAL QUEST
Thanks, Steve. That was awesome. It reminded me of my father in law, whom we lost a year ago. crying.gif

I am very sorry for your loss. Relish in proud memories of him whenever you hear the roar of those beautiful Wright Cyclones ... ;)

Jim,

I am happy to say that my mother is booking a flight on the B-17 "Thunderbird" as a birthday gift this year... :o. Between this, my WWI aviator's tunic acquisition, and the birth of my daughter...well, what else is left? It all down hill from here. :lol:

Steve,

You are going to love the ride. Life sounds good for you. Enjoy it!! thumbsup.gif

And don't forget to take pictures! :)

IMPERIAL QUEST
Jim,

Steve,

You are going to love the ride. Life sounds good for you. Enjoy it!! thumbsup.gif

And don't forget to take pictures! :)

:) ...I can't wait to finally connect with that part of history in a very personal way. I will indeed bring the digital camera, and my video camera as well if they will allow.

Steve - thanks for posting that buddy! It really helps center you on the men that are behind all the thing we like to collect. This is why I have a collecting motto!

John