US Navy Flying Suit - Jacket & Trousers

reuscher

Hi All,

This was a thrift store find from a couple weeks back - $7 for the two piece. I thought it was interesting enought to buy and learn more about. I know nothing about it, so any info would be appreciated. Does it have a name particular to the collecting field? Is there even any collector interest in this? When was this suit manufactured? All I can tell is that is has WWII/Korea era buttons and zippers on it. The Zippers are nickel Conmar's. The trousers have tabs with buttons on them that attache to tabs with button holes inside the jacket. I'm guessing mid to late fifties manufacture. Thanks to all.

post-772-1224388412.jpg

ITs a jacket worn by both Navy and USMC personel.I think they call them a WEPs jacket.Looks like a nice one.I am looking for one myself.

I think I would be going to that shop every day.You have gotten some nice stuff.Let them know you are intrested in military stuff.Never know what they may turn up.

RON

Nice jacket; it's called the G-8 (WEP) style and yours was made probably sometime between 1950 and 1960, although the same design continued beyond that. These jackets were popular among Navy pilots during the Vietnam war.

As for value, well reproductions sell new for $128 and two reproductions just sold on ebay for $62 each - I wold think the real thing has to be worth $125 or so.

Here's a tag from a repro:

g8reprotag.jpg