Vietnam 505th helmet ebay

Justin

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

What does the green tape on the liner mean or stand for?

I'm going to guess it is hiding a rank.

I was the one who won the 505th helmet on eBay. I Just ran across this topic in my search for photos of 505th helmets in field use to hopefully get printed and display alongside the helmet showing an example in use. I have been wanting one of these for a while so am really excited to have been able to add this one to my collection. Especially since I really like the look of the panther on this one. The helmet should get delivered tomorrow so hopefully if I get time I will try and post some additional pictures and I am hoping maybe somewhere in the liner webbing or sweat band their is a name scrawled but I guess we will see.

Also does anyone know if the 505th used the marked helmets with the panther when they were in the Dominican Republic prior to their Vietnam Service?

sgtdorango

Glad to see that you got that helmet, yes the 505th used the black panther in the Dominican Republic....theres a yearbook put out for the units time there that has some great photos...mike

I was the one who won the 505th helmet on eBay. I Just ran across this topic in my search for photos of 505th helmets in field use to hopefully get printed and display alongside the helmet showing an example in use. I have been wanting one of these for a while so am really excited to have been able to add this one to my collection. Especially since I really like the look of the panther on this one. The helmet should get delivered tomorrow so hopefully if I get time I will try and post some additional pictures and I am hoping maybe somewhere in the liner webbing or sweat band their is a name scrawled but I guess we will see.

Also does anyone know if the 505th used the marked helmets with the panther when they were in the Dominican Republic prior to their Vietnam Service?

Congrats! Its one of the nicer examples I know of. Any more pictures?

Guys, thanks I got the helmet and like it even more in hand but was bogged down this past weekend so didn't get much chance to take photos and do research on it. I will try and get some pictures up tomorrow. Ken

As promised here are some additional photos. First two showing a close up of the panther on each sides. As noted both panthers have red wings and a red eye. It also appears they may have had red claws at one time. Their is a small variation of the panthers from side to side notably the tail which leads me to believe they might have been drawn free hand.

post-159692-0-53811200-1494984037_thumb.jpg

Most exciting part of having it in hand I discovered it has an ID inside the sweat band. It is done in the standard of black marker over white paint inside the sweatband and was marked in two places. on the front right and rear left. It looks like the front right was done first and wore away and the soldier marked it again at the rear left. It appears to be the same name each time.

post-159692-0-74868000-1494984453_thumb.jpg

post-159692-0-93361800-1494984463.jpg

I make out Ray mond G. Win kler 1575 6856. I tried a few quick lines of research hoping to get a hit for the 505th in Vietnam or the Dominican Republic but did not come across anything.

If anyone is able to find anything on the soldier please let me know. This one will defiantly be one of my research projects when I get a little time.

I was really excited it had an ID and it was a nice surprise. Was a little let down at first when the marking in the front was difficult to read and I thought the ID had been lost to time then I check the entire sweatband and low and behold it was marked again at the rear.

post-159692-0-61980900-1494984530.jpg

post-159692-0-79980100-1494984540_thumb.jpg

The camo cover has a late1964 to 1965 date so could be either from the unit's time in the Dominican Republic or Vietnam or by the same token could just be from conducting airborne operations on Fort Bragg. The cover does show appropriate wear and has some fading but is not as used and abused as most of the combat worn ones that are defiantly from Vietnam so I am leaning more to a possible Dominican connection for Operation PowerPack. I guess if I or another member is able to dig up anything on the Soldier that may provide some more concrete insight on where it might have been used.

post-159692-0-52833500-1494984875_thumb.jpg

I was going to display with my Vietnam items but I think for the time being I will keep it with my other 82nd Airborne helmets.

post-159692-0-34996700-1494985140_thumb.jpg

This is a bit of a long shot, but I came across this guy, "Raymond Glenn Winkler". He's around 70, so he would've been of age to have served in Vietnam. I've gotten lucky and ID'd a helmet and a cover before by just asking them/their family about said items.

Its not always the best idea, but if you want, perhaps giving him a call and by explaining your situation he can give you more information. Here's a link: http://www.whitepages.com/name/Raymond-G-Winkler/Abita-Springs-LA/656i0bw

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
USMC-RECON0321

Great picture of the red panther, actually I think that's the first one I've seen of a period picture with the Red Panther in use. Do you have any information on it? I have a helmet like this.

Troy

post-33000-0-45405000-1523854354.jpg

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Great picture of the red panther, actually I think that's the first one I've seen of a period picture with the Red Panther in use. Do you have any information on it? I have a helmet like this.

Troy

attachicon.gifDSCN9751aaa.jpg

It's the Church of St. Rose of Lima Parish during the 1967 Detroit riot. Not sure what unit of the 505th that was.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Looks like it was parts of the 3rd Brigade who were deployed to Detroit in 1967. Not sure what elements.

• 1 year later...
The Rooster
Cap Camouflage Pattern I
  • photo-thumb-153751.jpg?_r=1406405419
  • Members
    • Member ID: 153,751
  • 3,017 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:58 PM

post-153751-0-95261500-1494291529.jpg

A picture is worth a thousand words, so here's a thousand pictures!

"I read that in war bad things happen, Ain't that the ************* truth" -1st Lt Mike Scotti

Thats Mr French!!!! What the heck is Mr French doing in Vietnam ????