Mills belt.

Lawguns

Here are some pictures of a mills belt. I am trying to determine if the belt is real or a newly made one. The material feels the same as the material in the other belts I have. Everything looks good to me, except the snaps on the inside are still shinny. I would expect them to have tarnished more. I just don't know if it was unissued and stayed in proper storage would it look this good?

Thanks, I have one more I questioned for the same reason. I would have though the snaps on the inside would have oxidized more.

iron bender

I buy the best repro gear possible when it's available, for the purpose of investigation, photograph it, sell it on epay for a loss. Your cartridge belt's a very nice original example. I have not purchased one piece of repro mills type webbing that I would consider original. It's the same weave, manufacturers use the best US made hardware, but it's just not there. One can tell. The weight's wrong, the color's weird, the sewing is near perfect, date and US stamps are just off, but it's just not right in the end. I don't blame guys who make awesome repro stuff for doing it, as it's a way to make a living. German gear is a whole other story. Minefield, even to some of the best. Mills weaving is just impossible to pull of in my opinion.

Thanks, I have 1 more of these I will post a picture of on this thread and I have a cavely bandolier I have a question about.

• 1 month later...

I posted this in the Gear section as well just in case other people don't look here. This is a cav bandolier. The color on the strap is off. Does it look like a reproduction? The stitching on the strap does not look replaced. I had seen it where it was just a matter of what fabric was exposed to more or less air and light.

post-167020-0-03465900-1499181294_thumb.jpg

post-167020-0-44526000-1499181300_thumb.jpg

post-167020-0-99594000-1499181307_thumb.jpg

Looks fine to me. The color of the strap being slightly different than the rest of the bandoleer is actually the first "clue" that this is an original item and not a repro. They didn't bother much with color coordination during the war or even before! A repro today would likely be dyed all the same color. The snaps, stitching and woven fabric are correct. Good bandoleer!

General Apathy

Looks fine to me. The color of the strap being slightly different than the rest of the bandoleer is actually the first "clue" that this is an original item and not a repro. They didn't bother much with color coordination during the war or even before! A repro today would likely be dyed all the same color. The snaps, stitching and woven fabric are correct. Good bandoleer!

Hi Lawguns, I am in full agreement with member GWS's comments, the difference in shade is fairly standard, I have exactly the same bandoleer as yourself and if I recall it has variations in shade. I have even seen cartridge belts with different shade flaps on in my forty years of collecting.

I actually like webbing equipment with shade variations and actively collect examples of them. Here's a Quartermaster made folding shovel cover, it has four shades of material variation, if it was good enough for the Quartermaster it was good enough for the man in the field.

Happy collecting, always wise to ask questions if your unsure.

lewis.

post-344-0-36986300-1499193605.jpg

post-344-0-15115800-1499193643.jpg

Unless it's something very rare, web gear in general seems very "flat" right now. I've had some of my belts/gear at the last SOS and another smaller show this Spring but without much interest in any of it save a very few pieces. Seems to be a re-occuring theme for me- buy high-sell low! I would guess around $200 depending on condition, but again, just a guess. An ad here on the forum would be a good place to test the waters. Good Luck.

Steve

Thanks, that is what I am seeing with these belts as well. Seems the price is at a low right now. The condition is great but it takes someone that wants to buy it as well. Thanks for the help.

Grenade vest--specifically the VB grenade. A common item, most are 100% unused condition. About $30-$40 at most dealers/shows. There was also a grenade bag or pouch with a shoulder strap that is less frequently found.

Steve