New Book Out on U.S. Enfield Bayonet P1913, M1917, M1917 (Vietnam)

Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

Gentlemen:

I just learned of a new work out on these interesting bayonets entitled "The U.S. Enfield Bayonet" by Daniel Jay Morrison. It is 440 pages and, from initial reviews, appears to be the masterwork on this series of bayonets. I don't have a copy yet but will.

Our late friend and fellow member here, Gary Cunningham aka Bayonetman, is quoted as saying of this book "A masterpiece of reference writing... the last and final word on the Model 1917 bayonet.”

See the link for a full accounting of what the book contains. The table of contents is included which indicates a very in-depth study of this important bayonet.

http://www.usm1917.com/home.html

If the early reviews on this one are accurate this book will turn out to be a must-have for US bayonet collectors.

Regards,

Charlie

US Enfield Bayonet M1917 ed.jpg

Brian Keith

Listen... I think I hear price tags on these bayonets being changed. ;)

Looking forward to getting a copy of the book. Sometimes I spend more on books than militaria.

Thanks for the info.

BKW

gunbarrel

Thank you, Charlie. I find it amazing that there are over 400 pages of stuff to say about this model bayonet. Will have to check it out.

Gentlemen:

I just learned of a new work out on these interesting bayonets entitled "The U.S. Enfield Bayonet" by Daniel Jay Morrison. It is 440 pages and, from initial reviews, appears to be the masterwork on this series of bayonets. I don't have a copy yet but will.

Our late friend and fellow member here, Gary Cunningham aka Bayonetman, is quoted as saying of this book "A masterpiece of reference writing... the last and final word on the Model 1917 bayonet.”

See the link for a full accounting of what the book contains. The table of contents is included which indicates a very in-depth study of this important bayonet.

http://www.usm1917.com/home.html

If the early reviews on this one are accurate this book will turn out to be a must-have for US bayonet collectors.

Regards,

Charlie

I sent two emails with the first being a week ago and have not gotten a response. Has anyone actually received a book yet? Is there another source for the book?

I want to buy two books if I can find out where to send my money.

Thanks

Don

Charlie Flick

Well, this is kind of strange. I have tried to contact the author on his website to buy a copy of the book, but have gotten no response. Not sure if the author is on a nationwide War Bond tour and unavailable or what. If and when I get a response I will post back here.

Has any member here managed to buy a copy of this tantalizing book?

Regards,

Charlie

militariaone

Well, this is kind of strange. I have tried to contact the author on his website to buy a copy of the book, but have gotten no response. Not sure if the author is on a nationwide War Bond tour and unavailable or what. If and when I get a response I will post back here.

Has any member here managed to buy a copy of this tantalizing book?

Regards,

Charlie

Greetings Charlie,

I have had the exact same "failure to respond/reply" experience. I was beginning to think there was something amiss on my side (i.e. a misspelled/miss-entered e-mail address etc.), thanks for posting this.

V/r Lance

Bill in VA

As a collector of the M1917 I'm intensely interested in this book. I'm in the same boat as the ret of you - no response yet.

I got an email back from Dan this morning using the email address provided by Frank Trzaska. It seems like Dan is on vacation and will be back early next week.

Hi Don

My apologies. On vacation and connection was down. I'll be back early next week. In the interim. Please send your mailing address so I can get an accurate post office cost. Also let me know if you would want me to sign and/or message each of the two books. Please pass on my best regards to Frank. Dan

Sent from my iPhone

On May 16, 2017, at 7:29 AM, Don wrote:

Hello Dan

I would like to buy 2 copies of your new book “The U.S. Enfield Bayonet”. I tried sending you several messages through the contact page on your book’s web page but never got a response.

Frank Trzaska posted your email address on the Militaria Forum and I thought I would try it.

What do I need to do now?

Thanks

Well, Dan has hit this one out of the park!

I have known this was coming out for a year. I rode Dan hard and frequent to get a signed copy. The book has lots of general information on US Bayonets and related facts but I bought it to support or challenge my own opinions on the M1917 bayonets and scabbards.

The quality of paper and binding are high class. The pictures are clear and support the narrative. Priced well and will save you making a costly mistake.

Thank you Dan Morrison!

Bill in VA

Glad to hear it! I am currently waiting to hear back from him on shipping cost & cannot wait to see it.

Me too (on both counts!)

I just got a reply from Dan with the shipping cost. I have sent him the funds via PayPal. I will make another post when I actually get the books.

The shipping was very reasonable, $6.53 for a package of 2 books, (each book weighs 3.75 pounds).

• 2 weeks later...

Just ordered my book and am awaiting it's arrival with great anticipation. I never expected there to be so much information on these bayonets!

I received my book this past Sat. IMO this is "the" reference work on this subject. Dan did an excellent job. The photos will amaze you.

If you are a blade collector this should be in your library.

Tankerman is correct! I got my book yesterday and spent part of the night familiarizing myself with the Table of Contents. It is the product of some EXCELLENT research and study and I was reminded of Brophy's definitive tome on the 1903 Springfield. The book seems to be exhaustive and scholarly and it will be in a place of quick access in my library.

As for the author, I must say that he was an excellent person with whom to do business. While there was a delay in communication due to him being out-of-pocket for some time, once he was home the volume was shipped quickly. He did overcharge me for shipping when initially quoting an initial total price, but he immediately refunded the difference once he realized it, and before I even could question it. He even autographed it and inscribed it to me. An outstanding transaction overall!

If you have any interest in the bayonets beyond a passing curiosity, you need to own this book. My thanks to the moderator for alerting us to the existence of this excellent work!

Charlie Flick

My copy finally arrived. The book deserves all of the acclaim that it has received. It is encyclopedic in its coverage of the M1917 bayonet, its antecedents, scabbards and related items. Anyone with the M1917 rifle or its bayonets who wants to learn more should add this volume to his library.

If asked if I had any criticism I would offer the very minor observation that the photo reproduction was somewhat less than one would like to see in a work of this scope. Granting that many of the images reproduced are now 100 years old I still found myself straining to see some details that better reproduction or editing might have supplied.

That aside, I commend this volume to every student of the American bayonet and salute the author for his achievement.

Regards,

Charlie