517 PIR Helmet

davidwh1

Afternoon everyone - I posted this helmet years back. When I bought it my wife and I were living in the Netherlands in 2006. We lived there until 2009 so I was able to do a lot of battlefield touring. I first saw it on ebay and so I decided to drive to the see the guy who was selling it in Belgium - three hours by car. When my wife and I got there, it turned out to be one of the many basement museums that are all over that part of the country. At the time my knowledge was not that great but at the time I thought it was an interesting helmet anyway.

So - why the story... I want to get a feel for the value from those that are knowledgeable. I will post five or six images. Take a look and give me your thoughts.

post-6058-0-46869900-1494107657_thumb.jpg

Do you have any better pics of the chincup construction? Also the stitching on the modifications.

post-6058-0-43317100-1494116925_thumb.jpg

Do you have any better pics of the chincup construction? Also the stitching on the modifications.

post-6058-0-01182000-1494116957_thumb.jpg

post-6058-0-62221600-1494117053_thumb.jpg

jkash23686

Going to be honest, I was interested in this helmet till I saw the construction of both the chin cup and the modifications. After seeing both I have my doubts, the style which the modifications were done, while not always exactly the same they are pretty close and this isn't it from what I can see since they were photographed at very weird angles. Same goes for the chin cup, from the very few I have seen there are small differences in construction, but overall they were done basically the same, again not similar to this cup.

Just my two cents of course, and these modified lids are always very very hard to get a sense for in pictures.

ArchangelDM

That camo looks very clean cut to me , it also looks strategically placed as not to go over any of the knocks and hits on the helmet.

The helmet shows lots of wear just not on the camo parts IMHO

Best

Dean

It's a fake IMO. The wear to the outer shell and the modification are huge red flags. Considering how rare these helmets are, and the fact that it was bought at a museum, I'd say it's a scam, unfortunately.

There are some very good reproductions that appear to be coming out of France, especially paratrooper helmets, but they all miss honest wear and show some subtle mistakes. I think this is one of them.

Hope you didn't pay too much OP.

Beau-Brummel

The rigger stitching doesn't look right and as Jamie pointed out the chin cup is unusual, the camouflage paint colour also appears odd.

I think It could be one of Godeau's.

It's a fake IMO. The wear to the outer shell and the modification are huge red flags. Considering how rare these helmets are, and the fact that it was bought at a museum, I'd say it's a scam, unfortunately.

There are some very good reproductions that appear to be coming out of France, especially paratrooper helmets, but they all miss honest wear and show some subtle mistakes. I think this is one of them.

Hope you didn't pay too much OP.

It was nearly 12 years ago - I think I paid 300 or 400 euros which was about 500 bucks at the time. Too long ago to think I would have spent the money more productively on something else. Well....here is my thought. It is better to know now than later should I have sold it - I never want to be "that guy".

I think it goes back on my shelf and becomes an "example of" - still looks good in the cabinet.