Help with an 11th A&E patch

42ndbombers

42ndbombers

I`m finding it hard to find convincing information on this patch. When I got the patch, the seller said it was from the B-58 era. I can understand that with the delta wing on the patch even though it`s missing 2 engines. But my research doesn`t back that up. Wikipedia points to RAF FAirford but I question the time spans. Was this patch used during the 11th bomb wing, 11th refueling wing, or the 11th Strategic group time periods? I don`t know if A&E would have worked for refueling or not. I always assumed they were used for bombing and fighters. I don`t know. The back of the patch has 11 BW written on it, but I can`t find where the 11th was around when the B-58 was flying.

B-52's at Altus AFB there buddy. The 11th never had B-58's. The 11th A&E was active from 13 Dec 1957 to 25 Mar 1969.

-Ski

As Ski said. Also a little FYI: The regulations/instructions (now AFI 84-105) on insignia discourage the use of the mission aircraft on official emblems. They can have a generalized aircraft shape like you patch has, but they usually won't approve a specific one, though some sure come close. Unofficial and morale patches are a whole 'nother animal though.

Randy