WWI USMC Captain's Bars

C. Roelens

C. Roelens

They are a matching pair of non-magnetic yellow (gold) metal, with no markings. I was told they were original WWI USMC insignia, and they looked silver in the pictures when purchased. Any assistance in identifying exactly what these are would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Chuck

post-1673-0-96076200-1494092978_thumb.jpg

Justin B.

Gold bars like that are usually police insignia, but I'm not familiar with that type in particular. Tough without any marks.

usmcaviator

I think they just tarnish out some Chuck. I have found these (the small faux embroidered variety) in WW1 USMC officer trunk lots dating from 1914-1920 and have seen them in wear on the collars of the wool two pocket shirt and overseas caps. I am pretty sure Army used them as well, so hard to tell what would be Marine and what would be Army, essentially identical.

Mike

roadrunner

Hello

Here is the information from the 1917 USMC uniform regulation.

The bars should be silver and 3/8 of an inch apart.

Michael

post-8324-0-58777900-1494275052.jpeg

post-8324-0-26515200-1494275063_thumb.jpeg

MastersMate

A possibility..

In the 1913 USN uniform regulations, the shoulder of the white choker uniform was changed from being fitted for shoulder marks to shoulder straps and pin on insignia. Article 130 notes they could be silvered white metal or gold plated copper..

The Revenue Cutter Service 1st Lieutenant wore the gold bars. The RCS has a gap between maybe 1913 and 1917/18 where nothing is available concerning commissioned officer uniforms. Col.Williams' 1918 book on ranks and insignia described the new USCG officers uniform as similar in design to the USN.

post-162267-0-67276500-1494288261.png

roadrunner

Is the space between the bars a indicator "3/8 of an inch apart" ?