hink441

Naval Air Squadrons - Rotary 'H' Helicopter Squadrons

Thanks, this a place to start.The Ticonderoga cruise book for 1957 shows HU-1 Det 17 as being aboard. The Enterprise cruise book for 1966,1967, 1968 show HC-1 Det M and HC-1 Det 65 and the pictures in each book show those listed Dets. I now remember that the frigate Worden (DLG-18) was the name I found.

IH

HC-1 had a lot of detachments, some are easy to find. This one is not. It was not attached to any carrier that I can find. At one time I thought I had found it had an aircraft on a Frigate in the North SAR region outside of Vietnam. Now I cannot find a thing. Any one have a thought?

IH

attachicon.gifhc 001.jpg

Great looking patches.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

911flag.jpg

ASMIC #1098

Thanks, this a place to start.The Ticonderoga cruise book for 1957 shows HU-1 Det 17 as being aboard. The Enterprise cruise book for 1966,1967, 1968 show HC-1 Det M and HC-1 Det 65 and the pictures in each book show those listed Dets. I now remember that the frigate Worden (DLG-18) was the name I found.

IH

According to the cruise history I posted, they were assigned to the USS FOX (DLG-33). Of note is that they also helped out during the USS FORRESTAL fire (aka the forest fire) which was touched off by an errant rocket as John McCain was sitting in his fighter on the deck.

This is the damage control training film we were shown based on the fire using actual footage

"Learn or Burn, Baby, Learn or Burn"

Really nice patches IH

HC-3 DET 111 The Merlins - 1976 Westpac aboard USS KISKA (AE35), theri first cruise after the fall of Saigon

JJ's JERKERS - F*** IT - WE ARE IT Moving the World

Which refers to their being the USN's only Vertical Replenishment squadron at that time

10" high x 8" wide jacket patch. Also of note......IRAN.....working with our good buddies the Shah's Imperial Fleet

OS HC-3 DET 111 001.jpg

OS HC-3 DET 111 002.jpg

Couple of HC-4 patches. Very different from each other. Probably different time frames.

IH

post-12336-0-63647500-1501694611_thumb.jpg

Mystery unit. Could not find anything about them.

IH

attachicon.gifhu4 001.jpg

FROM WIKI: On July 1, 1960 Helicopter Utility Squadron FOUR (HU-4) was established at NAS Lakehurst, New Jersey, and tasked with the logistic support of non-aviation ships of the U.S. Atlantic Fleet. To describe its mission more accurately, the squadron was redesignated as Helicopter Combat Support Squadron FOUR in July 1965, and HC-4 was born. The unit was equipped with the Kaman UH-2A Seasprite light transport helicopter. Eight years later, the young squadron assumed a new mission of Helicopter Anti-submarine Warfare and was renamed HSL-30. For eleven years, HC-4 seemed to have been relegated to the dusty tomes of history.

donation2018.gif
donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Helicopter Utility Squadron Four - Invaders

Later redesignated several times

1 July 1960: established as Helicopter Utility Squadron 4 (HU-4) "Invaders";
1 July 1965: redesignated Helicopter Combat Support Squadron 4 (HC-4);
1 March 1972: redesignated Helicopter Anti-Submarine Squadron Light 30 (HSL-30) "Neptune's Horsemen";
30 September 1993: disestablished.
6 May 1983: established as HC-4 "Black Stallions";
28 September 2007: disestablished.

HC-11 GUNBEARERS - Helicopter Combat Support Squadron 11 (HELSUPPRON 11), now HSC-11

Desert Storm - Liberation of Kuwait 1990-1991

Scroll down to bottom of link for more patches (great photos too) http://www.seaforces.org/usnair/HC/Helicopter-Combat-Support-Squadron-11.htm

HC 11 GUNBEARERS DESERT STORM 001.jpg

HC 11 GUNBEARERS DESERT STORM 002.jpg

HC-11 GUNBEARERS - Helicopter Combat Support Squadron 11 (HELSUPPRON 11), now HSC-11

Desert Storm - Liberation of Kuwait 1990-1991

Scroll down to bottom of link for more patches (great photos too) http://www.seaforces.org/usnair/HC/Helicopter-Combat-Support-Squadron-11.htm

HC 11 GUNBEARERS 001.jpg

Fortune has kept the wool pretty free of moth damage. The Det 65 has just the tiniest nip at about 2 O'clock but nothing else.

IH