Coast Guard League

KevinBeyer

KevinBeyer

CoastGuardLeague.jpg

Coast Guard League—an organization founded on 23 October 1944 by active duty members and honorably separated members of the Coast Guard who promote and preserve service traditions and the ideals of America freedom and democracy.

The Coast Guard League was governed by national district and chapter officers. Six active members could form a local chapter and receive a national charter. These chapters were grouped in districts defined by the geographical bounds of the U. S. Coast Guard District.

I cannot find any evidence of this organization past 1964. Although, there was a newspaper article from 2015 that indicated that for Veterans Day, a local ballpark was giving away free tickets to members of various veterans organizations including the Coast Guard League.

Does anyone have any information regarding this veterans organization? It is not listed in Bishop & Elliot's American Society Medals.

Kevin

KevinBeyer

Below is a Coast Guard League Past Commander badge. On the back it has a makers mark of BLACKINGTON in small raised letters.

CoastGuardLeaguePastCommander_1000.jpg CoastGuardLeaguePastCommander_makersmark.jpg

I do not know if the CGL had regular officer bars. Has anyone seen any other badges from this organization?

Kevin

• 3 years later...
KevinBeyer

I have located another Past Commanders badge for the Coast Guard League.  This one is inscribed on the back "William F. Lego. 1949"  I couldn't find any information online about his service.  This badge has a Blackinton maker's mark on the back.  It differs from the one above as it is raised, rather than recessed.

CoastGuardLeague_PC_WilliamFLego1949_1000.jpg