Heavily Graffitied Early RFI MICH/ACH : Iraq 2005-2006

pump 150

With much talk on helmet graffiti here recently, thought I'd add an example from the GWOT time period. While helmet graffiti can be seen occasionally on these helmets, generally due to stricter unit rules it is not found to the extent seen during the Vietnam period. This helmet is a rare example.

From a seller in north west Florida who stated that it belonged to an Army Reserve/Guard soldier who was activated and deployed to Iraq. No other info was available on its past besides the heavy artwork that the soldier applied to the helmet cover, named both on the cover and shell to "Jordan".

The helmet itself is an early Sept. 2004 MSA produced MICH supplied during the first stages of the Rapid Fielding Initiative to quickly replace the PASGT with the new design for deploying Army forces in late 2004-2005. The interior is very clean compared the exterior, however the Oregon Aero pads show fading and worn size labels indicating it was scrubbed out and cleaned hard more than once in order to get the dust and dirt out.

The helmet cover is completely covered in various markings, names, pictures, and quotes applied in multiple sittings over time as many are now faded with some unreadable or covered by later applied. The cover is also heavily stained which also ties it to being washed out for interior cleaning.

With no firm history found to date, my best guess for the moment due to the extreme use, penned markings, and names would be a Transportation Company running convoys throughout Iraq. With the extreme threats from IED's and ambushes, the Army looked to the past for answers and brought back the use of the up armored and modified Gun Trucks from the Vietnam War for convoy protection. Although no firm matches yet, a possibility with some of the penned names found on the helmet closely resembling those found on Gun Trucks or haulers.

If anyone knows anymore info on these markings please feel free to add.

post-98601-0-83257500-1493786302_thumb.jpg

post-98601-0-38575800-1493786323_thumb.jpg

Just a few pics of Iraq War modified Gun Trucks for reference, some with visible names. As said, any other info or comments are welcome.

post-98601-0-76979600-1493790144.jpg

post-98601-0-39955200-1493790166.jpg

post-98601-0-61911600-1493790179.jpg

post-98601-0-22033100-1493790199.jpg

Concernedfuturedogface

"Run with me, run from me, or get run over," that's pretty awesome. Great helmet

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Absolutely one of the best graffitied helmet covers I have ever seen, Bill!

USMC-RECON0321

Love it, and nice to see one that doesn't have the "Born to Kill", Peace symbol and calendar on it! LOL

Troy

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

To be fair, while I'd regard it with suspicion, "Born to Kill" wouldn't be an instant no-go on a helmet that was used after the movie came out. However Vietnam war is a different.

Thanks for all the kind comments, much appreciated. I have looked it over pretty hard without removing the helmet cover, and with all the artwork cannot find a specific unit penned in anywhere.

If anyone knows what the design above the NVG bracket represents, knows the meaning of the Arabic phrase on the left side, or anything else shown please feel free to comment.

My thought on the Transportation Company is solely based on what is shown and can change in the future if additional information comes forward. However it sure does seem to all coincide with the dirt, art, helmet shell/helmet cover production dates, and time period used. This was before the engineered MRAP's and other mine resistant vehicles went into full production, when field designed steel plates were quickly welded to vehicles for protection with added firepower. This was universally nicknamed as "Hillbilly Armor".

If further info surfaces in the future pointing to an infantry type unit that would be great also, at least those that ran the gauntlet daily on the roads of Iraq and Afghanistan got some mention here also for their dedication, bravery, and sacrifice.

post-98601-0-22034000-1493953273.jpg

Thanks again.