WWI Army Nurse Purple Heart Group Reunited

JimD

I like to collect medals to New Yorkers and have a soft spot for the New York Conspicuous Service Cross. So when a NY CSC to an Army Nurse offered by Adam Rohloff on the FS Forum last year, I bought it.

It sat in my safe for a year. Then three weeks ago I set up at the bi-annual Militaria Show here here in Arizona sponsored by George Notarpole and Larry and Terri Stewart. I always, always find some exceptional items at the show and usually spend as much money as I take in on sales. Suits me fine.

This time I was offered a WWI Purple Heart group to an Army Nurse. I stared at the name in the Purple Heart and thought, "That name is familiar to me". No wonder, being that the Purple Heart recipient's NY CSC was sitting in my safe at the same time I was staring at her Purple Heart, stupidly trying to recall where I heard her name before. Fortunately I bought the PH group and eventually figured out the connection.

These medals would never have been reunited if their sale or transfer between private parties was prohibited by law. So, without requiring monetary contributions from the public and without a glittery expense-laden publicity-heavy photo-opp news event, may I present Beatrice Hosken, Army Nurse.

Beatrice Hosken was born in Torquay, England on 27 August 1882. She moved to Canada before her emigration to New York in 1909. She graduated from Bellevue Hospital Training School, New York, in 1911. Nurse Hosken entered Army service from New York on 2 February 1918 and served overseas 4 June 1918 to 17 April 1919. She was assigned to Operating Team No. 42A at Base Hospital No. 1, Evacuation Hospital No. 4, Camp Hospital No. 19 and Evacuation Hospital No. 8. Nurse Hosken was awarded a Meritorious Service Citation Certificate by the Commanding General, AEF, for heroic conduct on 2 November 1918 when Evacuation Hospital No. 8 was shelled by enemy artillery. The Meritorious Service Citation Certificate (MSCC) was exchanged for a Purple Heart Medal for Merit on 13 February 1933. She was discharged 23 May 1919 and returned to New York where she became a naturalized U. S. citizen in 1925. She later worked as Superintendent of Housekeeping, Queens General Hospital, Jamaica, N.Y. Her New York Conspicuous Service Cross was awarded on the basis of the Purple Heart. Nurse Hosken never married and died 9 April 1962. According to Purple Hearts for Meritorious Service in World War I: A Forgotten Story, by Fred L. Borch, (Journal of the Orders and Medals Society of America, Vol 61, Number 6, Nov.-Dec. 2010), of the 4,119 MSCC awarded by the AEF in April 1920, only 23 were to Army Nurse personnel. How many of those were exchanged for Purple Hearts is unknown. The Purple Heart is in its matching number BB&B box, #30436, issued 1933.

post-2661-0-19584000-1493778238.jpg post-2661-0-61723800-1493778260.jpg

My apologies to Ms. Hosken for this photo. I am sure she would have preferred a different photo of her, but it is the only other one I have found. That is her third from the left with the delightfully fashionable head wear.

post-2661-0-31823500-1493778444.jpg post-2661-0-86651600-1493778435.jpg

tarbridge

Great job...What a rare group.You have the patience needed and just the plain old knack.A WWI ladies Purple Heart...I don't think I've ever seen one.

That's pretty amazing...I don't think I've ever even heard of a WW1 Purple Heart to a woman, let alone seen one.

Timberwolf

Wow very cool! Being a nurse myself I love these contributions from these brave ladies! Especially since nurse's week is coming up!

That is awesome! I collect a lot of woman's militaria and that kind of thing unheard of.

Congrats on putting group back together and sharing the legacy of this brave woman with us!

Wonderful group and a great story of re-uniting a fantastic broken group! Congrats! Bob

Most Purple Hearts to nurses were conversions from Meritorious Service Citation Certificates, although a few were for wounds. In either case, it's a great little group.

When my mother was in nursing training at Bellevue Hospital in New York (1932-1934), the director of nursing was Marion Rottman, who received a Purple Heart in 1933. My mother recalled it being a big deal among the staff at the time, although she was puzzled about Miss Rottman being wounded. A little research brought out the MSCC connection. Rottman had been the head nurse at Base Hospital No. 5, as I recall.

MAN! I think I have just viewed what is now my favorite Purple Heart group! Very cool and what a great job pulling the frayed threads of history back into the tapestry.

John

I fall in line with the rest. Well done! Perseverance, knowledge and a measure of luck. Great group to a great lady!

I look at acquring this group with what you as divine intervention, esp, dumb luck, right place at the right time. That person was drawn to you. Didn't even know you. What are the chances of this happening? Astronomical - -.!! Congratulations.

Chris

That is one wonderful and rare Purple Heart group. Thank you very much for sharing it with us.

Dick