G98 rifle with engraved stock by AEF soldier ?

Marne

Hello

Just bought this 1915 Dated G98 rifle probably with the name of a ww1 american soldier.

The rifle was found in Eastern France, not far from Argonne/Verdun area.

Any chance to identify this soldier ?

Thanks a lot

Marne

post-2318-0-43091300-1493754386_thumb.jpg

Possible ID.

GEORGE O. TILGHMAN - VA (Cape Charles) WWI
Name: TILGHMAN, GEORGE O. Service Branch: N/A Rank: Lieutenant Date of Death: 0000-00-00 Hostile: Died Of Disease Home of Record City: Cape Charles Home of Record County: Northampton Home of Record State: Virginia Conflict: WWI Primary sources
  • W.M. HAULSEE and F.G. HOWE and A.C. DOYLE, Soldiers of the Great War In Three Volumes (Soldiers Record Publishing Association, 1920)

268th C.A.

Ok checked my lineage, He would be my second half cousin. My G.G.Grandfather and his Grandfather were half brothers. He died in France of the Flu. I believe.

Lt. George Olin Tilghman

post-87654-0-90551800-1493764981.jpg

Its truly a small world. Amazing! Good talking to you about this tonight. Will look him up in the 29th book. Wifes Grandfather is in there, we found his grave in Onancock 30+ years ago.

March 17, 1919

The Washington Post from Washington, District of Columbia · Page 3

News has just been received by Mr and Mrs George B Tilghman of Cape Charles announcing the death of their son Lieut George Olin Tilghman who died in France February 4 of pneumonia while on a furlough. He was 26 years old.

268th C.A.

That's amazing. Thanks! I would like to appoligize for walking all over this thread to another member. But in so I hope he has the information he was requesting. Regards to all. Especially Marne for posting the thread. Sincerely David

George Bryson Tilghman was his father...

268th C.A.

That's amazing. Thanks! I would like to appoligize for walking all over this thread to another member. But in so I hope he has the information he was requesting. Regards to all. Especially Marne for posting the thread. Sincerely David

George Bryson Tilghman was his father...

Sorry...George Bishop Tilghman was his father.

Yes Amazing story and small world of collectors !! :rolleyes:

I think only the bolt has not the same number of the entire rifle (as often). It is neutralized as last French/European laws ( stamps EU+FR16).

There is no regimental markings unfortunatly.

Some others pics

post-2318-0-12805300-1493822114_thumb.jpgpost-2318-0-69349000-1493822138_thumb.jpg

I think the rifle was found near the small city of "Bar-le-Duc" (Meuse) I will ask the guy again.

post-2318-0-64432000-1493822597_thumb.jpg

post-2318-0-58422200-1493822608_thumb.jpg

Since this directly related to your family, would you ever be able to buy this? What would it take to transfer from France to the US?

everforward

This is pretty incredible..!! One of the coolest 'spoils of war' I think I have ever seen, especially with it's 116th connection. What a story...!