M42 reinforcing

airborneaviator

airborneaviator

Does anyone know someone who reinforces m42 jackets? Would like to be as accurate as possible with the sewing and the faded/dingy gray looking color that original reinforcements have. Thanks!

Ryan Kergides. On facebook under "Service Company Rigger Modifications" his work is spot on and he can replicate various styles of reinforcing used by different units which really make the impression standout from the off the rack sets.

Does anyone know someone who reinforces m42 jackets? Would like to be as accurate as possible with the sewing and the faded/dingy gray looking color that original reinforcements have. Thanks!

Why would you want the gray color? That's 75 years of age and fading. If you want to accurately portray a combat trooper in Normandy than you would want it to look as though it was just reinforced last month with a strong color. Or even the freshly boiled in Normandy look where you still have strong coloring but slightly faded. I know Herb Zamar out of Arizona at one time reinforced suits the proper way. Just some food for thought. Paul

Why would you want the gray color? That's 75 years of age and fading. If you want to accurately portray a combat trooper in Normandy than you would want it to look as though it was just reinforced last month with a strong color. Or even the freshly boiled in Normandy look where you still have strong coloring but slightly faded. I know Herb Zamar out of Arizona at one time reinforced suits the proper way. Just some food for thought. Paul

+1

Agree Herb does great work.Hes also a member here.

He was addind pockets at one time to Norweigian 43 pants and they looked great and quality work and materials.

istout0321

I would agree that Herb makes fantastic reproduction riggers made gear! I have rigger pouches from him as well as I had him apply pockets to some Norwegian pants back in the day and they were spot on!

airborneaviator

Thanks for the recommendations all! I think it's definitely true that some suits had very strong colors in the reinforcements, especially it seems if they had a heavy dose of cc2. But even those aren't as dark as most off the rack uniforms are now. I have a few pictures of what seems to be the average color of reinforcements on D-Day, I'll see if I can put those up later. Also I'm not really a reenactor, more looking for a good collection placeholder that looks the part.

airborneaviator

The first photo of General Taylor was obviously not taken on d-day so it's possible that the jacket has been boiled to remove cc2. The second shows what seems to be the characteristic slate gray color that most reinforcings seem to have had. The reinforcings on Forrest Guths suit in the third photo appears to be so faded that it almost blends in to the rest of the suit. The same effect can be seen on the trooper to his left with the M1 slung over his shoulder. Obviously some of this can be attributed to lighting and camera quality but for an average it seems most troopers suits didn't have super dark green reinforcings.

Also remember there was a lot of varying shades of parachutists coats, so you will find the olive colored reinforcing material which if I'm not mistaken was a British fabric will blend in or stand out depending on the fabrics wear.

a good thread here on the trigger time forum

http://triggertimeforum.yuku.com/reply/44914/re-The-Myth-of-reinforced-M42-jump-suits#.WQm_RSuUfuM