A-8 O Mask Bladder Replacement

Cololab

Any forum members have experience with replacing the bladder on an A-8 mask? I have a '44 dated mask with a bladder that has literally disintegrated. I'm not a huge proponent of messing with original items, but this mask is otherwise in really nice shape with all the correct attachment straps, etc.

northcoastaero

Common problem. I have not replaced one yet. You may want to make sure that the remaining bladder material is not fused to

the rubber face piece stem on the bottom as it may tear. I had this happen to a different mask in the past. May have to soak

the mask before removing the remaining bladder material? Just a thought.

I can think of all kinds of things that could go wrong, so I'm hands off until I hear of some success stories.

Scarecrow

I did replace the bladder on an A-8b mask that I had. Sounds like mine was in nearly the same condition. Solid body and parts but the bladder was shredded. It was a fairly simple process to replace. A little trepidation to start but the process went smoothly.

If you don't mind my asking, where did you find the replacement bladder? I understand there are repops out there, but I have no idea how well they fit to an original mask.

I have never replace a bladder but I have seen one at this place and hear they are good to go!!

Bellsaviation.com

Click on the "Oxygen Masks" on the left and a drop down will have oxygen mask parts.

They have a repro for $75

I hope that helps.

Semper Fi

Phil

northcoastaero

whatpriceglory.com garciaaviation.com flyboyplus.com and ebay.com may have the reproduction bladders also. Might have

originals too?

Thanks for the tips. I have seen bladders advertised, but I had no feedback as to the quality of any of these. If I decide to do this restoration, I want to do it right.