Vietnam Helicopter Helmets Question

USAF29thINFvet

USAF29thINFvet

Looking to add a Vietnam Helicopter Pilot / Gunner helmet to my collection and I have seen both white and olive drab. What are the "differences" between the two? White early war? OD later? How common were white helmets being used in combat / in country?

Thanks for any advice or information

marentius

You're right,white early war,OD later.

I should have somewhere some pics of white helmets worn "in country",as soon as I find them I post them

phantomfixer

If talking about the APH-5...I think the earlier ones are white and the OD came later...with the white ones being painted later on.. when worn in country...not all of course but you do see white APH-5 helmets painted OD

if talking about the SPH4/5 and the white HGU-39 there is a difference in shell material IIRC

northcoastaero

The Army used the APH-5 and SPH-4 during Vietnam, along with the ballistic AFH-1 helmet.

The USAF used the modified HGU-2/P, HGU-2A/P, and dual visor HGU-26/P in helicopters, along with the AFH-1.

The USN/USMC used modified APH-5 (different from the Army APH-5), APH-6, APH-7, SPH-1,

SPH-2, SPH-3, and SPH-3B. Possibly the AFH-1 also.

There was a white painted version of the SPH-4 that I have seen in photos of Air America

pilots/aircrews. Possibly a civil purchase helmet.

The HGU-39/P was modified with a dual visor assy. and boom microphone assy. for use in USAF

helicopters. The HGU-39/P appears to be a post war helmet based on the SPH-4. The HGU-39/P

was used with the MBU-13/P Chemical Biological Oxygen mask in USAF acft., both fixed-wing and

rotary wing.

The USCG used the USN/USMC helmets. Sometime during the late 1960s-1970s, these helmets

were modified with Army/USAF earphone elements and communications cables.

In June of 69 we were issued o/d APH 5 helmets at Ft. Wolters. You could look at pictures from Viet Nam and ball park when the the white helmets went away.When I got there in March of 70 we were issued the o/d SPH 4.I didn't see any white army helmets.