NATS VR-10 sleeping bag

phantomfixer

phantomfixer

I am thinking this is a private purchase sleeping bag...has a nice khaki shell with a white lining and a white pad in side...appears to be down not feather filled...

has three roll straps and buckles, and a built in stuff sack

well marked for the USN NATS VR-10

all I found on the VR-10, is that it was primarily a maintenance squadron versus one of the operational transport squadrons...

any info on the VR-10 unit would be great

Thanks guys

post-155518-0-10967500-1493642644_thumb.jpg

post-155518-0-40703400-1493642650.jpg

post-155518-0-24694200-1493642669.jpg

pararaftanr2

phantomfixer,

I don't have a photo, but there was a WW2 vintage Naval Aviation issued "Sleeping Bag", which is described as being " a fabric envelope containing three full-size down-filled fabric bags. The outer cover is sewed together or secured by fasteners around the entire perimeter of the bag, providing a completely enclosed envelope. The upper end of the envelope contains an additional external cover flap with an inside pocket. Two removable interliners of sheeting are provided with each bag". Your item may be part of this, or the entire, assembly? The "USN" stencil makes me think it is issue, not private purchase.

Regards, Paul

phantomfixer

Thanks Paul...the one reason I thought was PP is a woven tag on one corner of the outer shell...unfortunately, it is no longer woven...just strands of threads...

I will unzip tonight to see about the inner sheets and padding...