USAF ballistic parachute container ID

phantomfixer

phantomfixer

Is dated 1960, but can not make out the spec stamp...can anyone ID this container...assuming it had an external harness that was strapped in to place...

I have more pics of the inside...has metal clips on top...maybe for the risers?

Found a white USAF leather flight helmet too...the MB-3...in poor condition and a two pin two finger rip cord...as found when using a zero delay lanyard

post-155518-0-47378200-1493641888.jpg

post-155518-0-00500300-1493641894.jpg

northcoastaero

The parachute container appears to be a USN/USMC NES-12 series for use with the ESCAPAC

ejection seats installed in the A-4, A-7, and S-3 aircraft from the 1970s to present. It replaced the

NB-10. The similar NES-16 had a zipper along the bottom to attach to the High Speed Soft Pack

(HSSP) on the bottom of the Douglas Seat Pan (later SKU-1/A). The NES-12 series and the NB-10

attached to the RSSK-8 series seat survival kits. The NB-11 and NB-9 were hard containers with a

zipper along the bottom also which were replaced by the NES-16. The NB-7 was a soft container which

was replaced by the NB-9 in some aircraft. NB stands for Navy Back. The NB-6 (26ft parachute) and

NB-8 (28ft parachute) had an integrated harness. The NB-7, 9, 10, 11, NES-12, and NES-16 used the

torso parachute harness such as the MA-1, MA-2 (PCU-33/P and PCU-56/P series), and MA-2P. I am

almost certain that I saw a NES-12M at one time. Would like to know all of the variations. The small

pocket on the upper right of the back side of the NES-12 and NES-16 is for an External Pilot Chute

(EPC). There would also be an automatic ripcord release inslalled along with a ballistic spreader

gun for the main parachute canopy. Hope this helps.

phantomfixer

North...that helps a lot...I was thinking USAF as this is a target rich environment for old USAF surplus...don't too much in the Navy arena..

So thanks much for the info, keeping me straight..and now can do more research on the NES-12...

Thanks much North...

northcoastaero

Not a problem. A similar parachute container was used with ESCAPAC ejection seats installed in some

USAF aircraft such as: B-57, A-7, A-10, F-15, F-16, and F-111. There was a USAF variant that had a

cut-out on the lower right front side which was for attachment of the automatic seat survival kit opener

cable assy. Basically, a cable that was attached to the inner parachute assy. and automatically opened

the seat survival kit when the parachute deployed. The other end of the cable attached to the right side

of the seat survival kit at the opening mechanism.

phantomfixer

would this have part of the seat, or left in/on the seat versus being strapped on...will have took and see if I can make out the contract number...most everything is faded...

thanks for the info...

northcoastaero

The ESCAPAC back type parachute containers were kept with the seats. The pilot/aircrew would wear a torso parachute

harness that had fittings for the risers and seat survival kit attachment.