• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

us navy kapok life preservers

Nice stuff mate :D ,

Can you give us a idea what stations would have used them,I see the first one with landing craft personel etc but who would us the back pack type? and are these general issue throught all theaters of operation?.

Cheers,

Dave.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

**PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMMUNITY MEMBER HAS SADLY PASSED AWAY**

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/61663-forum-member-bilkos-dave-death-reported/

Nice stuff mate :D ,

Can you give us a idea what stations would have used them,I see the first one with landing craft personel etc but who would us the back pack type? and are these general issue throught all theaters of operation?.

Cheers,

Dave.

Dave, the navy refers to it as the KNAPSACK TYPE in peroid publications.The purpose of this stlye is it can fold it over onto your back so it does not interfere with ones duties on deck etc..It is a seldom seen kapok but it does show up in pictures here and there.Other than life belts used by the navy these kapoks are used in all theatres but i have only seen pictures of the knapsack type in the PTO.I was fortunate to turn up a detailed article on kapok life preservers in an air sea recue bulletin which helped explain alot that is how I know the last two vests shown were of USCG origin.

Hi Allan, thanks for the three good photographs of the USN kapok jacket, Cheers ( Lewis )

Young enough to care and enjoy militaria - Old enough to remember as surplus

" Life's too short for reproductions "

Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes 

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

Did you guys see the "big collar" kapok vest that just sold on eBay for over $500? Yipes!! I have been trying to get one of those for years, but not at that ridiculous a price!

There was also a "knapsack type" sold by the same party. It went reasonably. Unfortunately, I had never seen that type till I saw Dustin's posting here, so I didn't bid on it as I didn't know what it was. C'Est La Guerre!!

Tom crybaby.gif

Learn to ride hard, shoot straight, dance well and so live that you can, if necessary, look any man in the eye and tell him to go to Hell! US Cavalry Manual, 1923

WWII APS

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gif

donation2009.gifdonation2011.gif

Alan, nice addition! from what I understand there about nine different variants of the kapok life vest and the one you posted are seen often in D-Day photo's.

Hi Dustin,

Thank you for your comments.

I am putting together mannequins for a small museum in Normandy. Would you please be able to send me a known good D Day image of my type of kapok being worn? The kapok will be displayed as shown, so if the image could be as close to the display as possible and I will enlarge the image and put it along side the mannequin.

Thank you in advance.

Cheers

Allan

allan@bryson152.fsnet.co.uk

Heres some for you to have a look at..taken from spearheading D-Day.I like the first pic my self,that would be quite easy to do as a display..

Dave.

post-39-1171895602.jpg

post-39-1171895627.jpg

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/61663-forum-member-bilkos-dave-death-reported/

Are there any military markings such as contract numbers or acceptance marks to look for? I have seen these at antique shops before, but they never have a USN contract number.

Also, on the examples shown, with the exception of the USMC, I don't see a USN stencil. Are they marked?

Interesting new area for me. Thanks for posting!

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. "

View my website honoring the men and women of Indiana: http://indianavets.wix.com/indiana-at-war and follow my updates on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/IndianaModernAgeofWar/
Interested in US uniforms? Join the Association of American Military Uniform Collectors! http://aamuc.org/or find us on Facebook! facebook.com/AAMUC.ORG

Are there any military markings such as contract numbers or acceptance marks to look for? I have seen these at antique shops before, but they never have a USN contract number.

Also, on the examples shown, with the exception of the USMC, I don't see a USN stencil. Are they marked?

Interesting new area for me. Thanks for posting!

Beast, if you note on the data labels on first two vests pictured there are red anchor acceptence stamps for the USN.The other vests all will be marked coast guard approved either ADULT size 1,2 etc.. or STYLE MY USCG vests pictured has those markings but are very faint and would not photo the other one is the same the goo from the fire retardant collects dirt.

B)-->

QUOTE(Allan B @ Feb 19 2007, 03:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Dustin,

I am putting together mannequins for a small museum in Normandy. Would you please be able to send me a known good D Day image of my type of kapok being worn? The kapok will be displayed as shown, so if the image could be as close to the display as possible and I will enlarge the image and put it along side the mannequin.

Thank you in advance.

Cheers

Allan

Allan,I do not keep a strong picture database, are you sure there are not any in spearheading D-day? I will see what I can come up with.

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Allan B @ Feb 19 2007, 03:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Hi Dustin,

Thank you in advance.

Cheers

Allan

Allan,I do not keep a strong picture database, are you sure there are not any in spearheading D-day? I will see what I can come up with.

The pictures i posted are out of "spearheading D-Day" there are at least 10 to 20 pictures in there!!

Dave.

B)-->

QUOTE(Allan B @ Feb 19 2007, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Dustin & Dave,

I have looked through Spearheading D-Day and can't find the one I have. Any ideas where to look please?

Cheers

Allan

Allan , one will be surprised were good pictures turn up, I often visit used book stores and thumb through pictorials and such and libraries.Atleast there is one good pucture in each.Only once have I bought a book for one picture.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Allan, I was wondering if these two jackets are the same as the navy kapok you posted? They certainly look similar, just trying to find some more info!

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry319952

Thanks,

Will

WWII USMC & USN - CAMOUFLAGE / CORPSMAN / PARAMARINE / MARINE RAIDER / DENIM / DECK JACKETS.

VIETNAM - CAMOUFLAGE / SF / 'IN-COUNTRY' ITEMS.

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.