Dirk's helmet

Steve S.

Picked this up cheap for a restoration project. it had been painted more than a few times, the original gold, yellow, blue & then the white/red arrow job. Anyone know if this was a squadron designation or a "personal" job? About 99% of the cracking is in the numerous layers of paint.

post-161323-0-69934600-1493438947.jpg

post-161323-0-43099900-1493439003.jpg

back was signed "dirk" & also written inside.

post-161323-0-71677700-1493439089.jpg

Here it is now after having all the layers stripped off & ready for epoxy primer. I took measurements for the red arrow & made stencils of the name & checkerboards on the sides to duplicate when it gets to the paint stage.

post-161323-0-16878200-1493439250.jpg

Hate to say this but........I kind of liked it better in it's original state. That's just me though. Maybe I'll change my mind with the finished product?

northcoastaero

The red arrow possibly represents a squadron. I had a H-2 helmet in the past which had a similar, if not

the same size, red arrow. The H-2 helmet shell was white. Your helmet appears to be a USN/USMC

H-4. Hope this helps.

I always wish I knew more about the earlier basic markings. I had heard that the arrows were to help rescue crews know which end was up. I also thought the arrows were different colors to represent the different squadrons of that Air Wing, but not necessarily specific to a particular squadron. More of a 1st squadron red, 2nd squadron blue, 3rd squadron green, of that deployment. The side markings on this helmet may have been to represent a specific squadron....does that make sense?

I assume that like everything else, the "beginning stages" of the jet era had alot of experimentation. 60-70 yrs later, some makes sense while other things can be real head scratchers!

boxerdogi

Not to mention.....just when you think you have it figured out, you find an exception to the rule!

Ultra Hog

I remember that shell. I saw it on eBay at a very nice price & was particularly happy to see it kept original & vintage markings...

As Boxerdogi, i always love original markings.

Cedric, one of FB flightgear page admin

northcoastaero

boxerdogi,

Interesting information about the use of arrows on early USN/USMC hard helmets. I believe there is an

arrow painted on at least one of the helmets in the movie The Bridges at Toko-Ri. I have heard that the

gold paint on the H-3, H-4, and APH-5 helmets could be detected by radar, also to aid in rescue.

I remember that shell. I saw it on eBay at a very nice price & was particularly happy to see it kept original & vintage markings...

As Boxerdogi, i always love original markings.

Cedric, one of FB flightgear page admin

Yes, thats the one. I actually made an offer on it & got it alot cheaper than it was listed for.

Also picked this one up for $75. Once I got all the dirt/grime cleaned off, it turned out to be an excellent original paint helmet. Someone had removed the original wings decal but I had one packed away in some stuff & dug it out & installed it & "spot cleared" it to seal it on. Liner is perfect, not even a sweat stain on the leather parts!

post-161323-0-49752100-1493710109.jpg

post-161323-0-17289200-1493710123.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

been working on this one off & on around other stuff. have to add the checkerboard on one side then a coat of clear to protect it, but pretty much have the hard part knocked out.

post-161323-0-74954100-1496210489.jpg

post-161323-0-51587700-1496210507.jpg

post-161323-0-52662000-1496210536.jpg

Nice work. Let us see a picture when you get it put back together. Looks great so far!!

I just purchased an H-4 with an arrow ontop myself.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...