Honor Flight

Brian Keith

Brian Keith

I went on an Honor Flight out of Ft. Wayne, IN this past Wednesday as the Guardian for my Father, a Korean War era Air Force Veteran. Originally, my older brother (Desert Shield/Desert Storm AF Veteran and my Uncle (Army 3rd ID Korean War Veteran) were supposed to go. But, my uncle fell, broke a hip and passed away from complications, and then my brother developed health issues so he couldnt be the Guardian for my father, so I was able to go. My father had never been to DC. I have, several times, but an Honor Flight trip is quite different! Here are a few photos to follow. I am retiring from the Indiana National Guard after 31 years (my official retirement date is Monday, May 1, 2017). I turned 53 during my tour in Afghanistan in 2012-2013, so it was a bit special for me also. If you can, support the Honor Flight programs. The veterans go for FREE due to the support. Most of us honor the dead with our collections, the Honor Flights Honor the living. My father is 86 and cant walk very well anymore, so I pushed him in a wheel chair at each monument we visited.

Thanks for looking.

BKW

(May God Bless those who teach our young to respect the Veterans!)

post-1549-0-84113500-1493437597.jpg

My father and I at the WW II Memorial

Brian Keith

post-1549-0-90295500-1493437794_thumb.jpg

At the Korean War Memorial, my Father, (AF Korean War Era Veteran) holding a photo of his brother, my Uncle, Verl, his ID tags and shell casing fired at his funeral. Verl was a 3rd ID Korean War Veteran.

Brian Keith

I never thought of my father as a "Chick Magnet" before!

Thanks for looking, comments welcome.

BKW

Indiana National Guard 1986-2017, Afghanistan 2012-2013

• 2 weeks later...
kyhistorian01

Hi Brian, Glad you got to go with him. I served as my Dad's Guardian 2 years ago and it was the greatest thing we have ever done together. I put together an album for him after the trip as a remembrance. I am glad I did it when I did as he is 86 like your father and an Army Korean War veteran, but he is unable to travel anymore. I highly recommend going with a family member if you can you will always cherish the memories and experience.

Robert

Brian Keith

Thanks for the comments Bob. I know what you mean, it was a great day.

BKW