Flight Surgeon Wing Thoughts?

Kimo

Below are a couple of photos of a full sized, 3 inch, pin back, sterling, Meyer, two piece construction, Flight Surgeon wing I have in my collection. The die struck caduceus emblem was made separately and affixed to what appears to have been a die struck observer wing badge making this a two piece wing. I believe this one is an original war time N.S. Meyer Flight Surgeon wing since it has the large sized STERLING mark and no tabs at the base of the pin back posts. It is in silver rather than gold which means it would be after September 12, 1944. The gold ones were first authorized on February 11, 1943, but then on September 12, 1944 the specs were changed to make them be in silver so they would be like all of the other wing badges. This one sems to be identical in all respects to the one illustrated at the bottom of page 148 of Maguire's "More Silver Wings, Pinks and Greens" book.

I would appreciate any thoughts anyone may have especially as to whether it is wartime rather than one of the later restrikes.

Thanks!

post-166073-0-75533100-1493430985_thumb.jpg

post-166073-0-03098600-1493430995_thumb.jpg

tomcatter

I'm not a USAAF wings expert,

but as far as I can see from these photos, this wing has all 1940's Meyer features.

tomcatter

Maybe it's from late WWII or even late 1940's,

but it does not look like a restrike to me.