M1917A1 Production

cerick1450

I recently picked up an excellent M1917A1 heat lot Number 15B. If I understand production figures correct. McCord was awarded a contract to produce M1917A1 on Nov 27th 1940, and stopped production during May 1941. (Reynosa The M1 Helmet) So does that mean approximately, the approx. Heat lot numbers 7-17B were produced during that time frame. That is new made McCord M1917A1's, not redone WW1 M1917's.. Is that correct?

Thank you for the help..

My example is heat stamped 22D if that helps. Not the clearest picture from my phone, but I think you can see the number ok.

post-68384-0-45085000-1493444364.jpg

Sorry for the confusion. I was trying to confirm that the only New made M1917A1's were the McCords with a single or double digit followed by a B. These were only made in the Nov 27th 1940-May 1941 timeframe. The other M1917A1's were refinished WW1 helmets..Is that correct?

M1 helmet production started at about 26A heat lot number for McCord, if I remember corectly.

Thanks

I guess another way to put this is what were the heat lot numbers used by McCord during the Nov 1940-May 1941 production of New made M1917A1's?

cerick1450

There does not seem to be much information on the internet that I can find. There are short bits here and there, but I cannot not find much information on the pre-early war M1917A1 McCord Helmet production.

Anyone know of any sites or books that cover this .

Thank you

Might as well start by asking here and building a basic list.

We have:

1B

15B

22D

Can anyone else add the numbers from thief helmets to this?

Might as well start by asking here and building a basic list.

We have:

1B

15B

22D

Can anyone else add the numbers from thief helmets to this?

I have a McCord Radiator mfg M1917A1 stamped 9 B

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I have one, but it's probably a WW shell, as it has three maybe four numbers in it's heat stamp, numbers are hard to make out due to the coating of grit or whatever was used for the matte appearance,, it was applied under the rim. so the best I can get is a 840, the 8 looks like an 8, with there maybe (or maybe not) being a number before the 8, maybe like a 4.

Off topic I know, but any clue on this potential stamp?

Yes the liner was not present, nor the chinstraps, just the liner frame, though got one from the prairie company, Prairie Flower it's called.