Naval Aviation Flight Gear

tar00

If anyone has survival vests, life preservers, etc I am interested in seeing progression over the last 50 years - there is very little material online. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
If anyone has survival vests, life preservers, etc I am interested in seeing progression over the last 50 years - there is very little material online. Thanks.

Here is my mannequin done up as a Korean War corsair pilot from a display we did back in 2004.

Tom thumbsup.gif

post-81-1225077336.jpg

Here's one type of survival vest: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=17195

Check out some good info on inflatable life vests here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=2838

and for kapok life preservers: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=2892

Here for Navy life preserver lights: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=6377

Here You have two books info about survival gear and helmet also included USN section!

United States Combat Aircrew Equipment by Michale Breuninger

Jet Age Flight Helmets by Alan Wise, Michael Breuninger

both are availbe one ebay!

Hope it's helps!

post-369-1225143506.jpg

post-369-1225143638.jpg

• 4 months later...

Jerry,

Another photo that I had added in a post about Korean war uniforms.

usnz3002.jpg

I have not ww2 gears but the M668s suit at the left of the "puppet" from which the contract may be from the end of 1944. My collection thema is US flight gears from 1945 to the 60's beginning. Although I love the others US flight gears and history but I prefer (and I must!) to limit.

I can post some photos. Tell me what you would like to close up. You can see a picture of the first version of the USN Nylon JWF here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...l=JWS&st=20.

Another example of a Korean war period USN pilot with the complete anti-blackout suit type Z-2 (1945's contract I suppose):

usnz2002.jpg

Later Z-2 type suit from the 50's middle and Mk2 life vest with four pouches from the same period:

collection010309014.jpg

Thanks Bebel for photos!!! Your collection is great!!!! I saw rest of photos in another topic on forum! AWSOME!!!!

I collect Usn aviation but from WW2 only...

What is contract on Your anti-blackout suit type Z-2?? Noa(s) ####???

Best regards,

Jerry K.

Thanks Bebel for photos!!! Your collection is great!!!! I saw rest of photos in another topic on forum! AWSOME!!!!

I collect Usn aviation but from WW2 only...

What is contract on Your anti-blackout suit type Z-2?? Noa(s) ####???

Best regards,

Jerry K.

Hello Jerry

Thanks for your nice comments!

The Z-2 contract is Noa(s)4761. A friend has a type Z (not Z-2) with the same number. Type Z has some differences with Z-2. Sorry I have not any photo of it but I can ask him. He collect only USN ww2 flightgears.

I had only one parachute but gave it to my brother for its Indochina french war pilot. It may be 1952 dated if my memory is good enough! (I am searching the same with "SWITLIK" labeled on the shouders straps of the harness).

16mma270aer.jpg

17mma270aer.jpg

I found also for him an 50's USN harness for chest parachute used by multi-propellers aircrafts crews. Sorry I have not the parachute!

sanstitre1xtw.jpg

Thanks for photos Babel! Very nice parachutes. It is hard to find good one, with canopy, rigger tack etc., especially if you want have all person complete with parachute... I have the same problem in ww2...

Im curious the this type anti-blackout suit type Z-2 was used in alte ww2... the contract is from late 45 but who knows???

Again thanks for photos...

JK

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

here is a reenactment done a few years ago, showing a USMC pilot rescued circa 1968 by USAF Jolly Greens.

a.jpgj.JPG

Tiger stripe flight suit, MA-2 Torso harness (Koch fittings on top, RJE fittings below), SV-1 survival vest, modified Victory Model holster, Mk-3 flight preserver, Z-3 G-pants.

Hello

Question about the Brown Revolver Holsters, how long were they used for?, I would think that many of them would have been WWII left-overs?

Also question about the Revolver it's self, I understand that the WWII Victory Model was used up until 1980s, but were other revolvers also used as well?

When I was in the Service and in a Fighter Squadron it was during peace time and stateside so I never saw aircrew with sidearms. I also wondered what they would have been issued had it been War-time etc.?

Thanks

Mark

Hello

I have very little to contribute, but I'll see what I can do.

Here are two Water Bottles that I recall seeing air crew carry in their survival kit "belts". I don't know the nomenclature, but Tomcat crews did not wear a "vest" type kit, it was more like a "belt" type kit (not sure how much that makes sense?).

Anyway, here are the Water Bottles

The two I have are marked on the bottom: H.T.P.

U.S. 1993 (along with the "recycleable "triangle with a 2"")

The front is marked: PN 68C35027

Thanks

Mark

DSCN0854.jpg

The common Air Crew Survival Knife. This one was made by Camillus and is dated 3-1985.

I never saw these knives visible on air crew, I assume they were packed away in one of the many pockets of the survival kit?

DSCN0842.jpg

I'm not certain if this is specific to the US Navy or not, I'm not certain what survival kit this goes with either? But, here it is, nomenclature on the brown paper bag it came in (for real) reads as follows:

1095-00-203-7598

HOLSTER,REVOLVER

1 EA.

DLA700-86-C-0882

C 8/86

DSCN0198.jpg