Can any one help ID these panoramic photos?

Glider Pilot Daughter

Glider Pilot Daughter

I would love to know what these pictures are and where they were taken. My Dad's flight records show he was AAF, Troop Carrier, 52nd Wing, 61st Group, 53rd Squadron.

Peggy

post-167781-0-44273100-1493404728_thumb.jpg

post-167781-0-87849000-1493404827.jpg

post-167781-0-04963000-1493404893_thumb.jpg

They look like graduation photos, or perhaps pre-deployment photos, so most likely at Whiteman AFB, Missouri. It was established as Sedalia Glider Base in 1942.

Hi Peggy, I believe Grant is correct in the top photo being a pre-deployment picture, the bottom one is clearly in England post D-day as can be seen by the invasion stripes on the wings and fuselage. I am inclined to believe the bottom photo is the Glider pilots and glider mechanics of the 53rd TCS.

Thanks for posting, hope this helps,

Mark

Glider Pilot Daughter

Thank you for your responses.

I know that my Dad first graduated from Wickenberg AZ glider training and then did his advanced training at South Plains Army Flying School in Texas.

I am not familiar with the number of people that would be in groups and squadrons. Do these pictures seem to be the right number? What does TCS mean?

Peggy

Peggy, there were usually about 20-25 Glider Pilots assigned to a squadron at any given time, so I would assume that this may be your father's squadron. TCS stands for Troop Carrier Squadron. Thanks again for posting the photos,

Mark