Your ultimate find of all time?

Bluehawk

Sometimes we see on here people who DO come across the lifelong sought item of militaria... a patch, a grouping, a weapon etc.

What would be THE one artifact you would MOST cherish finding, or have found?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mine would be to have one of General LeMay's Class A coats... fully decked out with his rack at the end of his career... he was in charge of the USAF when I enlisted.

Hmm, interesting question. For myself, I would have to say I would most like to find a complete WWII Airborne Vet's grouping. Now THAT would be my dream come true. It would definitely be the centerpiece for my WWII public displays! w00t.gif

- Jeff

As a collector, does it ever really end?? Do we ever reach the pinnacle? think.gif

Whatever "IT" is, I hope I never find it.

Chris

Manchu Warrior

I am not sure if it is a blessing or a curse but I already know were it is and who owns one of my ultimate finds and it is not me. A few years ago my mother was doing family research on line and she made a connection with a distant relative of hers. The woman had original Civil War era photographs of my Great Great Grandfather and uncle in uniform and she was nice enough to send my mom copies of the photos. I had goose bumps all over me when I first saw the photos because I was finally able to put a face to the family members that I had read so much about, thanks to their Civil War records at the National Archives. Believe me I feel honored to even own a copy of these photos, because how many people have that pleasure, but boy would it be nice to own the originals. I have to admit that I would give up a lot to be able to one day own the originals. And that would be my personal ultimate find.

post-1412-1224353106.jpgpost-1412-1224353124.jpg

Meet the Henderson brothers.

Captainofthe7th

Choosing ONE item would be tough, but I would have to say I would want it to be the boots my grandfather used in Korea. Of all pieces of gear, I think boots would be most symbolic.

Of course, for a group I would ask for EVERYTHING he had as well as my other grandfather's Navy uniform.

There are just so many things....but I'm not one to want...I'm generally very pleased with what I have.

Rob

My ultimate find would be an M-2 para helmet direct from a 101st vet along with his favorite war trophy...an early WWII German M-37 paratrooper helmet.....hey a guy can dream cant he?......mike

FightenIrish35

My grandfathers 77th Division Officers jacket in mint mint condition. Unfortantly a while ago there was a leak in his house and it got into his footlocker :( but that would be what I would want!

A USMC helmet worn by my friends grandpa.(cover, fixed bail, straps, and complete liner) My buddy was nice enough to let me HAVE free of charge.

So far...my 1942 dated enamel cup and enamel canteen. given to me by me grandfather in a 1956 dated cover on a belt with mismatched wwii-vietnam pouches... so far that is thumbsup.gif

Easy, anything owned by Bill Mauldin. But a "lifetime find" for me would have to be Bill Mauldin's issued Jeep!

MauldinsJeep.jpg

He really didn't have it for very long as it developed mechanical issues and he took another Jeep into France. As far as I can tell in my research, he never got back to his issued Jeep. You'd think someone would know what happened to it after that, that someone would have been proud to be driving Mauldin's Jeep later in the war, but I have never found any info on it after Mauldin saw it last. Contrary to what has been written, he was NOT given it (or any other military Jeep) after the war. He bought a CJ-2 in New York long after VE day and that Jeep is still with the Mauldin family.

IMPERIAL QUEST
Whatever "IT" is, I hope I never find it.

Chris

You know, I was thing over possible candidates of my ultimate item (I have two), but then I saw Chris's reply. I will ride his coat tails and enter this as my answer as well. I am not sure, but I suspect that Chris thinks that once the "ultimate" has been obtained, then what is left? Once you have it all, there is nothing further to look forward to, hence the possible end of collecting. Even as much as I thoroughly LOVE my aviation tunic I just purchased, I must say that I truly miss those thrilling years of waiting, and anticipating acquiring one. Kind of when you finally graduate high school, you spend the better part of 12 years hoping and dreaming of the end. Then when you finally hold the diploma in your hand, you feel an emptiness and a longing...Any how, those are my thoughts, maybe this is what you had in mind too Chris?

PS...sorry to sound like an old sap, I just tend to think very deeply about most things. :rolleyes:

PS...sorry to sound like an old sap, I just tend to think very deeply about most things. :rolleyes:

Not at all... hadn't thought of it quite that way.

It was your earlier thread that got us thinking on this initially anyhow...

I agree with Chris and Steve on this subject.One item I recently aquired was a WW2 assault vest.I had been looking for one for years.Way before SPR brought them into the daylight.Many didnt know what they were.I knew I would find one.My time was sure to come.I passed on a couple back in 1993-94.I can say I actually helped in aquiring one for the museum at West Point.I am very pleased with the one I have and am grateful to have it.I didnt have to throw crazy money out to buy it or mortage the house.I made the realization a long time ago that there are many things I will not have and what I have is enough.I look at things now in this way...Want,Have,and Need.Yes there are things I want but I dont really Have to get it and I dont really Need it.I guess price has a lot to do with it and Im not going to be a slave to Want and Have.I just feel fortunate to have the items I do.

RON

militariacollector

There are a lot of things I would love to have in my collection, and I don't think I could narrow it down to one. On the top of my list though would be anything belonging to my two great-great uncles, both KIA in WWI. I have some records and one of their sets of medals, but the other medal set and a whole lot more have to be out there somewhere... I hope.

I'm a greedy sumbitch so I want my "ultimate" find right now-

A wartime jeep filled with all the correct equipment, that needs a total disassembly, restoration, and reassembly but isn't eaten up by rust AND is affordable

I agree with both Chris and Jim.

But I would love to find pictures of my two grand-fathers in Don Cossack uniform during the Civil War in Russia.

An origional 29th helmet in mint or battlefield condition. I would trade my entire collection for one would probably wee in my pants a little.

For me it would be one of those complete groups that has everything, uniforms, medals, gear, photos and to meet the vet and really get to know the man and his experiences. Then to preserve them and some day pass it on to another collector who has similar views and keep the memory alive for generations to come.

I would also like to research and build a website devoted to that specific man and unit.

John

I want one representative example of every small arm ever fielded by the United States (North and South) from 1776 to present! Pistols, long arms, automatic weapons, bazookas, mortars, artillery, tanks, :D etc. I would love to have every edged weapon as well.

A USMC helmet worn by my friends grandpa.(cover, fixed bail, straps, and complete liner) My buddy was nice enough to let me HAVE free of charge.

hehe, Looks like I read it wrong, if my dreams came true, I would love to find a d-bail helmet in any condition for less then 30 bucks at a flea market!

Corpl. Cleaver

I would be happy if I found ANYTHING that belonged to my greatuncle.

RIP Pvt. Lester H. Scheaffer, 175th IR, 29th ID, September 12th 1944.

start checking your purple heart displays....

My greatest finds were a mint complete second variation Hawley liner and a piece of trench art that included an original D-bail helmet. One of my most treasured items is the officer's katana my great uncle brouught back from the Pacific. There's still that thrill finding that odd, unique item such as the 106th ID cash ledger and the sterling ID bracelet of the finance officer that kept the ledger. My dream: full-auto 1928A-1 Thompson SMG. It's a little out of my price range.

I want one representative example of every small arm ever fielded by the United States (North and South) from 1776 to present! Pistols, long arms, automatic weapons, bazookas, mortars, artillery, tanks, :D etc. I would love to have every edged weapon as well.

Yeah that works too :lol:thumbsup.gif my ultimate find would be an M1911 Colt dated WWI or WWII (im not picky ;) ) good luck on the tanks though thumbsup.gif