D day helmet

Screamingeagles101

Beau-Brummel

Exactly; doesn't kill It though IMO as vets did stuff like that.

It looks to me like the red paint on the liner was retouched at some point. There are two distinct shades of red there.

Burning Hazard

All looks good but the carving in of "June 6 1944" on the liner seems odd to me, I wonder if it may have possibly carved post-war.

Servicemen participated in multiple operations or D-Days (there was more than one D-Day in WW2) and to just carve in the most popular one today seems odd, unless the vet literally only participated in June 6th D-Day and was sent home after, which could be a possibility.

Just some thoughts

Mmmmm... I sorta see what you're saying, and clearly agree that there was technically more than one "D-Day" during WWII - both ETO and PTO. That said, the Normandy Invasion was the largest water-borne invasion in history, and marked the beginning of the Allied assault on mainland Europe (ala Ron Burgundy, "sort of a big deal" :)).

Now, we could all argue semantics around this, and operation / code names, but I think - at least colloquially - "D-Day" means 6/6/44 for those in the ETO. For those serving in the Pacific, it can mean any number of dates - as seaborne assaults were necessarily the prevailing assault.

That this helmet has that date scratched into it, and especially not "D-Day", creates no concern for me.

All looks good but the carving in of "June 6 1944" on the liner seems odd to me, I wonder if it may have possibly carved post-war.

Servicemen participated in multiple operations or D-Days (there was more than one D-Day in WW2) and to just carve in the most popular one today seems odd, unless the vet literally only participated in June 6th D-Day and was sent home after, which could be a possibility.

Just some thoughts

It looks to me like the red paint on the liner was retouched at some point. There are two distinct shades of red there.

Not a concern to me, touch up's were done as evidenced on this 84th ID

post-2533-1276359568.jpg

post-2533-1276359312.jpg

Not a concern to me, touch up's were done as evidenced on this 84th ID

I agree. A later touch-up could explain why the 7 is over the blue band on the liner.

Beau-Brummel

I agree. A later touch-up could explain why the 7 is over the blue band on the liner.

Again, exactly that ?

If you blow the images up I think you can actually see the older red running through the blue, it's a wonderful piece, I wish I could justify spending the money.

USMC-RECON0321

This is an excellent helmet set that I have NO concerns about. This checks all the collector wish list boxes for a WWII helmet. I actually thought it was going to end at a higher price than it did.

Fresh out of the woodwork - Check

Matching marked shell and liner - Check

Well known Operation and unit painted markings - Check

Both the shell and liner are Named and ID'd - Check

WWII D-Day (Yes June 6th D-day) connected - Check

Both sewn chinstraps still intact - Check

Has that "No Doubts" look to it at first glance- Check

Congrats to the new owner!

Troy

stealthytyler

Thought it would push $10k. I know condition is less important in a rare shell like this but if the webbing was all there and didn't rust out in a shed for 35 years, it would probably go for that $10k mark.

USMC-RECON0321

Thought it would push $10k. I know condition is less important in a rare shell like this but if the webbing was all there and didn't rust out in a shed for 35 years, it would probably go for that $10k mark.

Honestly, This is exactly the look I like to see and the lack of liner webbing wouldn't make any monetary difference to me in a set like this.

jkash23686

Yup try is right I was a bit leery at first about the liner, but the shell was right as rain with one look. And the more I looked at the liner its was good to go too. I think someone payed about right for it.

Now the helmet will return back into the woodwork or go right back into a private collection or next "care taker" it may never see the light of day again? depending on what the owner does with it?

rare helmets like this should be on public display for others to see (museum)

Blacksmith

As cool / rare as we think it may be, there's no guarantee a museum would feel the same way. Furthermore, even if it fit their collection today, that could change with their focus or exhibit 'refresh'. At that point, it becomes relegated to a box in their holdings inventory. At the point their deaccession conditions are met, maybe it ends up selling / auctioned off again. I'm not railing against museums, as I love them; however, one needs to be realistic about how they function.

I can see loaning it for a period of time, for a specific exhibit, but I personally would not donate it. Certainly, if somebody felt strongly otherwise, they could have bought it and donated it I suppose.

Now the helmet will return back into the woodwork or go right back into a private collection or next "care taker" it may never see the light of day again? depending on what the owner does with it?

stealthytyler

Do you know how many amazing items museums have stored away in boxes that will never see the light of day again? This helmet was rescued from further deterioration in an outdoor shed. It's better off in a private collection.

Burning Hazard

Museums also go out of business and end up selling or trashing their items.

Also, I remember reading about different historical collectors that loaned items to museums for display that somehow ended up getting lost/sold by the museum, resulting in loss of personal family items :wacko:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/art/4992691/Museums-lose-nearly-200-artifacts.html

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/596353/Medals-sold-eBay-32-Maldon-Sudbury

http://www.museumsassociation.org/museums-journal/news/11082015-museum-criticised-for-selling-donated-medals

people seem to not value items as much when it's given / donated to them

If I wanted something to go to a museum they would have to buy it

RustyCanteen

Gentlemen,

Let's not get too sidetracked weighing the merits of public museums versus private museums or collections. The topic is about the helmet.

Thanks,

RC

Burning Hazard

I guess it comes down to who works at the museum; one of my former roommates (archeology major at university) worked at several museums for very low pay and she hated it, she said she couldn't care less about her work or the items there. very sad to hear :(

Anyways RC is right, we're going off topic here.

GettysburgMuseumOfHistory

I think there is a very good chance this one will be on display at a museum at some point! ;)

I think there is a very good chance this one will be on display at a museum at some point! ;)

Erik, you dog!! Woof!!

GettysburgMuseumOfHistory

I didn't get it but one of my buddies did.