Scalpel Set - WW2

prestoncohunter

prestoncohunter

My wife's uncle we know was a Army Medic and served 41 months in the Pacific, these items were in a box with some of his other things. No idea how he would have managed to get his hands on a MD-USN kit. All are marked TIEMANN. A bit dull and have been well used. The case they should have been in has not been found in his things.

This uncle had no kids and as we clean up my FILs estate his things appear to have been kept by my FIL who was Navy so we have a mixture of Army and Navy that we are sorting out.

As always any additional information, or things to look for on them is appreciated

post-167837-0-66071100-1493218170_thumb.jpg

Rakkasan187

Not too uncommon for an Army medic to talk to a Corpsman or Navy personnel on ship and do some trading. His scalpel kit case may have torn or could have been lost so he was able to secure this from someone on board ship..

Just a thought..

Leigh

prestoncohunter

Like so many of these things, you so wish they could talk and you could hear the whole story. Not just now he ended up with it but where it was carried, lives saved, etc.

I'm sure that thought runs thru collectors minds all the time, but since I have only been finding this stuff over the last 6 months as we work thru my FILs belongings it really pops to me. That and in the case of my FIL he joined when 17 what they did and saw at such an age.

You say not uncommon for a Army medic to trade for one, how common of an item is this to run across.

Definitely too bad stuff can't tell their story.

I agree with Leigh, I wouldn't worry about the fact that those are Navy marked. For the invasion of Normandy, they assembled pallets of medical supplies made up of both Army and Navy items. Its well documented that some of the medical units on the beach were made up of both Army and Navy doctors and medics. In the Pacific, I have several documented stories of Army personnel acquiring Marine Corps and Navy clothing and gear as the Army supply system was slower. It is pretty amazing that you have so much that is directly connected to a relative. For some free advice, make sure you document what was associated with who and how it was discovered. Twenty years from now, you may be hard pressed to remember the details that help tell the story of your relative.

Peter

prestoncohunter

Peter, that is great advice. Think it's time to start putting together some Word docs with pics with what we "know" and what we suspect.

• 5 months later...
prestoncohunter

As luck would have it, I stumbled across the tweezers that would have gone with this kit under/behind my FILs desk yesterday. Not sure what he was using them on but I suspect to work on his hearing aids lol and dropped them and they never got retrieved till yesterday.

post-167837-0-97856600-1507645307.jpg

post-167837-0-46925900-1507645318.jpg