16th Inf Regt, 1st Inf Div Normandy 1944

jon_short

I'm off to Normandy in a few weeks hoping to retrace the 16th Inf Div, 1st ID from the beach and the route south for the first week post D-Day. I'm trying to find period maps and documents post 6/6/44 to build up the picture and to help convey the story for those I'm taking but I'm struggling to find much online that details what happened after landing on Omaha.

If anyone is able to help with maps, reports etc I'd be most grateful and it'll really help my family members who are flying to the UK and then travelling to Normandy for the first time from WI.

Jon,

http://firstdivisionmuseum.nmtvault.com/jsp/searchresults.jsp browse for records starting with 301-INF (16) which cover the period of time you're interested in. There should be a Report of Operations and a G-2 Journal file for Normandy. If you're following a relative, you may also find their citations for any medals or a CIB in the General Orders on that site as well (those you can search for by full name or surname).

I "followed" a 26th RCT route on a map using these documents, so you should be able to do the same with the 16th. Normandy Landing Tables are available via googling, which would help you visualize where on the beach they landed and in which craft.

Feel free to send me a PM if you have questions.

Thanks for the links gents, the 1st Inf Div archives is exceptional! The G2 reports are revealing some interesting things so thanks so much for that.