H.R 544 and S.R.765 and NOW S.122

tarbridge

S.122 was introduced into the 116th Congress last month, it's in committee right now.

Looks like they're trying again.

you really didn't expect he who should not be named to stop did you?

oldradiostuff

So these are senators this time ! So they can just bump it up out of house ?

Usually they will introduce a version of a bill in the House and one in the Senate at the same time. Both houses pass it, then it goes to something called reconciliation so that both versions are morphed into one bill, then each house votes on the reconciled bill, and if it passes, it goes to the President.

...And if it gets hidden in an omnibus, then we are truly screwed. Please write your congressman or woman if they have anything to do with the judicial subcommittee or are sponsors!

-Ski

I wrote to my senator who is on the Subcommitee:

"Senator Coons,

As a member of the Senate Judiciary Subcommittee, I would like to direct your attention to S.122 - Private Corrado Piccoli Purple Heart Preservation Act. This law would make it illegal to sell a named Purple Heart. This bill is terrible. First of all, it puts an unconstitutional limitation on private property as the sale of a Purple Heart does not cause undue hardship nor does it have an adverse affect on the safety of others. More importantly, the reasoning behind the bill is the premise that all Purple Hearts are "lost" if they are not with the family members of the awardees. There are over 1.5 million Purple Hearts out there and many do not have a family to go to. This bill will cause all named Purple Hearts to become "toxic" and will have the opposite effect of "preserving them". Many will end up getting thrown away because they become unsaleable, or like the Medal of Honor, will be sold overseas before the bill is enacted. I ask you to review this and oppose the bill. The intent of the bill is to honor and preserve the sanctity of the Purple Heart and those who sacrificed their all to earn it. Unfortunately, it will have the opposite effect. I would be happy to talk to you in person to show you several Purple Hearts in my possession whose recipients have no direct living family lines. Thank you."

You can only try, right?

-Ski

one would think they'd have REAL issues to work on in the Congress right?

Ha! Excellent joke!

On a serious note I am very interested to learn Texas Rep. Dan Crenshaw's views on this legislation. He could be quite an influential voice in this ongoing debate.

tdogchristy90

I'm up and can't fall back asleep. This thought just came to me....

How would this affect things like Purple Heart documents, presidential accolades, even telegrams? They're in the Purple Heart family but not actually hearts.

I'd say somebody needs to get to him first... I had occasion to return a man's father's wwii navyfootlocker. He happened fo be a Vietnam POW himself, was a real honor. He mentioned that there's an outfit that returns purple hearts and I told him how they operate, spending exorbitant amounts to return a heartthat would only cost whatever flat rate small boxes are now and I think he agrees with us now.

Ha! Excellent joke!

On a serious note I am very interested to learn Texas Rep. Dan Crenshaw's views on this legislation. He could be quite an influential voice in this ongoing debate.

I'd say somebody needs to get to him first... I had occasion to return a man's father's wwii navyfootlocker. He happened fo be a Vietnam POW himself, was a real honor. He mentioned that there's an outfit that returns purple hearts and I told him how they operate, spending exorbitant amounts to return a heartthat would only cost whatever flat rate small boxes are now and I think he agrees with us now.

I would like to think he would be opposed to the legislation because of the legal challenges, but we certainly need to make our case to him before they do.

• 10 months later...

I did some checking to see if anything has been tried recently regarding legislation, but the latest article I could find was from May 2019. Do you think they'll try again in the near future or has this been put to bed? The article: https://riponadvance.com/stories/purple-hearts-are-not-for-sale-says-rep-cook/

Has anyone heard anything the past few months?

“The Purple Heart is a symbol of sacrifice and heroism awarded to those who were killed or wounded in combat. It’s not a collector’s item,” said Rep. Cook. “Profiteering from re-sale of the Purple Heart medal has to stop.”

Rep. Cook unveiled the Private Corrado Piccoli Purple Heart Preservation Act, H.R. 2911, to enact penalties for the sale of any Purple Heart, which his office said get sold on the military collectors’ market for thousands of dollars.

“The fact that this market exists cheapens the sacrifice of the service members who earned” Purple Hearts, Rep. Cook said.