H.R 544 and S.R.765 and NOW S.122

tarbridge

I just noticed they have a posted list of Purple Hearts they own...so PHR listens to what we say.I hope they give us credit for that.We still need to be vigilant especially since it's the end of the year.

tdogchristy90

I just noticed they have a posted list of Purple Hearts they own...so PHR listens to what we say.I hope they give us credit for that.We still need to be vigilant especially since it's the end of the year.

Do you have a link to this? I'm curious what you mean...give us credit, do they collect and return medals, how did the idea of this list come about?

We always pointed out that for an organization trying to "return" medals, they were never transparent. Myself and others charged them with a certain insincerity for not publishing a list of the medals in their possession.

Our efforts are likely the catalyst causing their revised policy and the posting of a searchable list.You can read one of my many posts/Facebook threads and flyers...I have charged many times for not being a "helpful group" instead of being a narcissist endeavor.

So, they evolve, they expand their manifesto, correct their inclusions, with the intention of making it illegal for the Collector/Researcher/Dealer family to continue in a job we actually do more of and with better results with little cost to anyone.PHR spends many thousands at times to award a Purple Heart to a recipient that would not have been eligible. I don't even have a problem with that except they should be forthcoming with the truth of the matter.

PHR in one aspect happens to be returning fire with our own bullets...They are still out there and we are a goal of theirs...the anti-medal bill is still out there.

A link...Google it...you will find plenty...the latest...they went to Ireland and "Returned" a Purple Heart to a Soldiers family...he had been killed in WWI.Once again, Bless that Soldiers journey and sacrifice. But, he would not or did not warrant a Purple Heart for death in WWI.I wonder how much that "return" cost the folks who donate the operating capital for PHR.

Remember, we have offered to help PHR to find true lost or stolen medals...but it falls on deaf ears...they are not interested in sharing the spotlight.

tdogchristy90

"PHR spends many thousands at times to award a Purple Heart to a recipient that would not have been eligible."

This made me laugh. I knew they were a little political in how they handle returning hearts. But you're saying they fake the returns for political points?

"PHR spends many thousands at times to award a Purple Heart to a recipient that would not have been eligible."

This made me laugh. I knew they were a little political in how they handle returning hearts. But you're saying they fake the returns for political points?

Honestly, do I care they award a family whose familiar member died...absolutely not.Do I have a problem with them not being transparent and dishonest in the process of returning these medals. The most contact was initiated by them to long lost realtives... it is a contrived situation brought about by buying medals...or engraving new issue medals but insinuating many times...it was that persons medal. They spend loads of money and portray a noble cause and existence all the while perpetuating a old school...flim-flam.

They just need to be truthful...they keep cutting a bald man's hair...it just didn't happen.

I am so happy I am not the only one simmering over this. The very fact that they are "awarding" WWI KIA Purple Hearts is in itself problematic. They are "Issuing" federal medals that aren't authorized to be awarded and in doing so, they themselves are violating the sanctity of the medal. I would think this could be reported as an instance of Stolen Valor since they do get monetary compensation through donations. Double edged sword this.......

-Ski

They can make fake returns for monetary gain by garnering additional donations. Nonprofits can be quite profitable for their CEO's and employees. Check the overhead on some of these organizations once.....

-Ski

I am so happy I am not the only one simmering over this. The very fact that they are "awarding" WWI KIA Purple Hearts is in itself problematic. They are "Issuing" federal medals that aren't authorized to be awarded and in doing so, they themselves are violating the sanctity of the medal. I would think this could be reported as an instance of Stolen Valor since they do get monetary compensation through donations. Double edged sword this......

-Ski

+1

Schofield1943

Just a legislative point...

When this Congress adjourns for the year this bill will be dead and if there are plans for it to proceed in the new Congress next year it will need to be reintroduced. Not saying that won't happen but it is a procedural point worth noting.

Yes...the two year life will expire...it will have to be re-submitted.

And since the congressman that submitted it the last 2 times just got re-elected, I am sure he will re-introduce it and the fun will start all over again.

Kurt

Whoever was unbelieving that the organization was awarding Purple Hearts outside of the regulations- see below. The stinker is that while yes, it is unauthorized a) few people know this, and B) who is going to win an argument against those smiles?

post-537-0-71409400-1542842903_thumb.png

oldradiostuff

Can someone give an example of someone getting a heart that wasn't valid AND why it was not valid for him to receive one. Thanks.

tdogchristy90

The post right above yours gives an example. The Purple Heart has never been authorized for award to KIA service members from WW1. Therefore, any award of a Purple Heart to family of a WW1 KIA is an illegitimate "award." PHR has no legal authority to make such an award; they do it simply for the publicity.

Is this because to get a ww1 Purple Heart you had to retroactively apply for it? (And if you're dead, civil war/ww1 you couldn't obviously apply for it)

Can someone give an example of someone getting a heart that wasn't valid AND why it was not valid for him to receive one. Thanks.

Read the above posts also...

WWI recipients had to be alive and request their medal at its inception in 1932.They received a wound Chevron until then.

The Purple Heart at that time was for wounded in action or meritorious service..

Pearl Harbor was the inclusion of a Purple Heart for KIA's.

A WWI KIA would receive only a Columbia accolade, that included Died of Wounds...Killed in Action or Died of Disease.

The ceremony I talk about above and Kyle posted about(Ireland) is the very example you ask about...that Gentlemen did not warrant the issuance of a medal by the Military Standard of the day.

Another case they were involved and presented a Purple Heart...they gave one to a family whose ancestor died of pneumonia at Walter Reed who had never left the United States.

They awarded one to a serviceman who died during the 1918/19 influenza pandemic. They bought his Columbia accolade, and added a Purple Heart in the frame. https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/purple-heart-presented-to-monona-woman-by-nonprofit-for-uncle/article_6184070b-ce08-57ee-a777-77e0e651fd10.html

tdogchristy90

Read the above posts also...

WWI recipients had to be alive and request their medal at its inception in 1932.They received a wound Chevron until then.

The Purple Heart at that time was for wounded in action or meritorious service..

Pearl Harbor was the inclusion of a Purple Heart for KIA's.

A WWI KIA would receive only a Columbia accolade, that included Died of Wounds...Killed in Action or Died of Disease.

The ceremony I talk about above and Kyle posted about(Ireland) is the very example you ask about...that Gentlemen did not warrant the issuance of a medal by the Military Standard of the day.

Another case they were involved and presented a Purple Heart...they gave one to a family whose ancestor died of pneumonia at Walter Reed who had never left the United States.

Thank you very much. How does the posthumous awarding of hearts (1965?) play into all this?

Thank you very much. How does the posthumous awarding of hearts (1965?) play into all this?

They believe that anyone but themselves do not have the right to buy-sell-trade or collect US Purple Hearts .That we are scam artist and evil profiteers...to name a few descriptions cast upon us by them.

There object includes all Purple Hearts...even the contrived and fabricated ones they have awarded.

So who gives PHR the power to award military medals ?? This seems pretty far reaching abuse of power !

Thus the issue with it! They don't have the authority to do so. The fact that they probably got a free trip to Ireland in the deal from donations supporting their organization, well, that would constitute a violation of the Stolen Valor act IMHO.

-Ski

They are not stupid and play on the heartstrings with their cause being noble...it gets 100% positive attention. The news media loves doing their presentations so they gets tons of free exposure.

Truly, they spend lots of money and return very few Purple Hearts.

In short, the return and presentation catches everyone in the spirit of "reuniting" medals, nobody has any interest in legalities or the correctness of standards.