H.R 544 and S.R.765 and NOW S.122

tarbridge

Okay, so they note offering the same protections in place for the Medal of Honor, and we all know about the stories of confiscation...though the law only criminalizes sale/trade/purchase, what does this mean for ownership? Technically it should still be okay to own one of these in a private collection, right? But will that security persist?

Is this too scary to speculate right now?

Rob

There is no problem with owning a Medal of Honor. You just can't legally transfer it outside of donating it to a museum or simply destroying it (not saying to do so!). The Purple Heart will be the same. You can own one fine, but acquiring one or selling/trading it on will be illegal. This is why the whole thing is unconstitutional as it puts a limitation on the ownership of private property. It has no adverse affect on anybody.

-Ski

Tara Ross, an historian who blogs on Facebook, posted a story about a PHR event a few days ago. I and some others contacted her to explain the issue, she replied and today sent me a note that she appreciated our perspective. Today she issued a statement about it on Facebook where she has 166,000 followers. Glad our side is getting heard.

post-9621-0-90907300-1502386774_thumb.png

Tara Ross, an historian who blogs on Facebook, posted a story about a PHR event a few days ago. I and some others contacted her to explain the issue, she replied and today sent me a note that she appreciated our perspective. Today she issued a statement about it on Facebook where she has 166,000 followers. Glad our side is getting heard.

Here is a link

https://www.facebook.com/TaraRoss.1787/posts/1146045448830393

There is no problem with owning a Medal of Honor. You just can't legally transfer it outside of donating it to a museum or simply destroying it (not saying to do so!). The Purple Heart will be the same. You can own one fine, but acquiring one or selling/trading it on will be illegal. This is why the whole thing is unconstitutional as it puts a limitation on the ownership of private property. It has no adverse affect on anybody.

-Ski

Totally not part of this thread and not to cause a rabbit trail...you can't buy or sell MOHs. You also cannot own unissued ones, as they are considered counterfeit.

Just from my personal interactions with the FBI when they came to take mine. Luckily, I had a good lawyer working for me at the time.

Now, back to the topic at hand...

I stopped at an antique mall today and picked up a list of the shops in the area. My intent is to email or snail mail each shop and let them know that the Senate has passed a bill that could make criminals out the mall owners and their dealers. Some of the dealers are active in local politics, so it may motivate them to reach out to their representatives.

For those of you in Alabama, Senator Luther Strange, who is running in the Republican primary, was a co-sponser for this bill.

Sen. Capito, Shelley Moore [R-WV]
Sen. Collins, Susan M. [R-ME]
Sen. Udall, Tom [D-NM]
Sen. Strange, Luther [R-AL]
Sen. Leahy, Patrick J. [D-VT]

Just thought you might like to know.

• 3 weeks later...

Now that congress is back in session, I fully expect that S.R.765 will successfully pass the house, since the senate obviously is absent of common sense and the house even less so. SO, I am really hopeful that some lawyers out there in the collecting world will step up to file a Constitutional challenge to this and the ban on Medals of Honor. This isn't just about medals, but about the arbitrary limitations on private property that if left unchecked will have larger ramifications for all of us.

-Ski

• 4 weeks later...

For those of you in Alabama, Senator Luther Strange, who is running in the Republican primary, was a co-sponser for this bill.

Sen. Capito, Shelley Moore [R-WV]

Sen. Collins, Susan M. [R-ME]

Sen. Udall, Tom [D-NM]

Sen. Strange, Luther [R-AL]

Sen. Leahy, Patrick J. [D-VT]

Just thought you might like to know.

Glad to see Luther Strange lost!

• 3 months later...

It has to re-named and presented again.

And you know the PHR group wont give up or quit. This could go on for years.

And you know the PHR group wont give up or quit. This could go on for years.

Yes..this is year three.

Schofield1943

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think it only has to be reintroduced in the House every 2 years when a new Congress is sworn in. We're still in the 115th Congress (Jan 2017 - Jan 2019).

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think it only has to be reintroduced in the House every 2 years when a new Congress is sworn in. We're still in the 115th Congress (Jan 2017 - Jan 2019).

I assumed it had to be reintroduced every year...Thanks for clarification.

Let's hope that this will slowly die on the vine. Hopeful wishing on my part, I know. I need to get a hold of my representative again....and again.

-Ski

I'm wondering if it will get rolled into a less innocuous looking bill such as H.R. 1683 National Purple Heart Hall of Honor Commemorative Coin Act.

I'm wondering if it will get rolled into a less innocuous looking bill such as H.R. 1683 National Purple Heart Hall of Honor Commemorative Coin Act.

That is how most dumb bills get slipped thru.

• 1 month later...

Latest on the House. HR544 is back in Subcommittee. We need to keep our eyes on this as I don't think it will go away. Mr. Cook wants to make a name for himself.....

02/08/2017 Referred to the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, Homeland Security, and Investigations.

Action By: Committee on the Judiciary

1/13/2017 Referred to the House Committee on the Judiciary.
Action By: House of Representatives

01/13/2017 Introduced in House
Action By: House of Representatives

Yes.it is our main weapon at this moment...write your Politicians.Be diplomatic as possible, no personal attacks but the consequences of this poorly intentioned bill.