Letters from Iwo Jima (2006)

TheMariner

This movie has been on my watch list for a while, i have seen parts of it but never got around to watching it in its entirety.Last night i was finally able to watch it! While i dont intend to ruin it for anyone i will say the ending was a bit of a cliff hanger which i didnt like. Other then that i thought the movie was pretty accurate historically and also showed a different side of the fighting on Iwo. It showed some of the interactions between Japanese and American soldier both positive and negative. I would certainly recommend this movie to anyone interested in the battle of Iwo Jima. If you have anything too say about the movie go ahead and post it here!

post-160496-0-75451300-1493094995.jpg

Great movie. I watched it as a double feature at our local Cinema when it was released. Flag of our fathers an Letters.

I have this movie and Flags Of Our Father's- enjoy them both very much. So I echo above sentiment if you haven't seen them try a marathon

Great movie and I agree about Watanabe's performance. I my humble opinion Letters from Iwo Jima is the stronger of Eastwood's two Iwo movies.

I think "Letters" is the better of the two as well.

Great movie and I agree about Watanabe's performance. I my humble opinion Letters from Iwo Jima is the stronger of Eastwood's two Iwo movies.

I particularly liked that it was a different point of view then we usually see! I think in a way it humanized the japanese soldier!

Excellent movie! I have watched it three times so far and I like it more every time I watch it. It is on my list of "favorite war movies"...

Letters from Iwo Jima is an excellent movie. It compliments Flags of Our Fathers. Flags takes the battle of Iwo Jima home with the 4 surviving flag raisers. Seeing what these men went through on that island and what they had to endure on the home front is a true testament to ALL veterans that have come home from war. It reminds me of the 1946 movie "The Best Years of Our Lives". BTW Mariner as to the movie being a cliffhanger, no one has ever really found out how Gen. Kuribayashi perished on Iwo. But he's held in high accords in Japan, alongside Adm. Yamamoto and in the autobiography of Gen. H.M. (Howling Mad) Smith as 'the most redoubtable' adversary.

Semper Fi.

Manny

I concur that Letters is the better of the two. Even more so knowing that Flag's is based on a now inaccurate book and story. Scott

Good movie. And I don't mean this as a negative, but it was made as an afterthought by Eastwood. In many ways it is a superior film to Flags of our Fathers.

Garandomatic

I'm going to have to see it. I was always hesitant because there's that fine line between looking at the enemy's perspective and exonerating some pretty terrible stuff. I won't say I was skeptical of "Letters", just a bit unsure. If persons such as yourselves rate it so highly, I'll give it a shot.

The main character Saigo who you follow through the entire film dosent really get an ending, i know he was a fiction character but i would have liked too see if he survived being a POW or if he perished soon after capture. Those of you who have seen the film know how it ended for him and that was the part i thought was a cliff hanger.