Just Another Sterling Graduation Wing....

IMPERIAL QUEST

IMPERIAL QUEST

A recent EBay pickup. It is not my favorite design as far as wings go, but what is engraved on the back is very special.

As to not be repetitive, here is a link to the Research Forum where I posted a question concerning the meaning of a portion of the engraving. Some interesting insight here.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...c=28626&hl=

IMPERIAL QUEST

Open pin, showing engraving. The quality of engraving is not the best I have seen, but the style certainly looks like it is from the period, and is definitely hand applied.

Hi Steve,

This wing was very likely given out by the flight school to the parents or wife of the aviation cadet when he died. Very nice wings.

Patrick

brandon_rss18

Amazing wings Steven, that engraving on the back is awesome and also a one of a kind! I have a WW1 mess kit knife ill trade you for it, ya know, since your into that kind of period. think.gif:lol:

IMPERIAL QUEST

@ Brandon- Sure, why not. Stop by the office tomorrow and well swap......geeeeesh, listen to this guy. :rolleyes:

@ Kurt & Robert- Thanks for the replies. I am quite pleased with the result of my decision to pursue these. ;)

Steve,

Your wing reminded me of what I believe to be a "gold star" wing to a wife or mother. It is a small gold star added to a Juarez aircrew wing that has been made into a bracelet.

Patrick

post-1519-1224693998.jpg

Here is something that is also related. This is a "mother's cross" that was given out to Canadian military members who died in service. Flight Officer Swanson was actually a Californian (from Long Beach) who went north and joined the RCAF. This is sort of an in between thing, as he was an American in the process of flying with the RCAF. I assume, had he survived flight training, he may have ended up joining the the USAAF in early 1942.

Killed Sept.10,1940, age 25, Central Flying School, Trenton, Ontario. Fleet Fich Aircraft #1015 did not recover from an inverted spin and crashed 5 miles south of Belleville, Ontario,Canada.

post-1519-1224694744.jpg

IMPERIAL QUEST

These are beautiful pieces to remind us that not all of the casualties of war were on or over the battlefield...