Another Experimental Flak or Load Carrying Vest From Vietnam or Earlier

vintageproductions

vintageproductions

A few years ago I posted this vest here on the forum.

ov1.jpg

ov2.jpg

There was never a positive id except that it might be USMC. The outer body material is the color of a early VN flak vest.

This weekend at the Tempe, Arizona military show I bought this one.

nv1.jpg

nv2.jpg

It's the same configuration except this one has all the pouches and snap on parts. Plus in the pocket is an extra piece that includes a holster that can replace one of the front pockets. This one is the green nylon that is found on most Vietnam nylon gear. This one also has no markings and never has any.

Just wondering if anyone knows anything new about what these are, or who they were issued to?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

vintageproductions

I also have this posted on one of the Facebook Vietnam pages and someone there attached this photo and said it was for an experimental M-14 vest.

18119249_10155255130029670_736303101918547375_n.jpg

Concernedfuturedogface

Very cool find. My favorite part about the Vietnam War is the early appearance of modern-like gear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

The only reference in writing to this vest that I have been able to find comes from the October 1972 issue of the "Marine Corps Gazette".

The article states that they were tested as part of the "Troop Test Program" around 1960.

One of these sold on eBay last year. I copied some of the photos for reference.

Tim

post-192-0-35492600-1493075239.jpg

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Very cool, kind of like the grandfather of MOLLE, I know some commercial vests in the 1990s used snaps and velcro.

Brian Keith

Looks like you've cornered the market on those vests. Did any else notice the anti-mine blast footwear on the soldier in the photo? Interesting.

BKW

Thank God, I'll only take shrapnel in the crotch!

Did any else notice the anti-mine blast footwear on the soldier in the photo? Interesting.

BKW

Funny, the boots were the first thing I noticed ... and then the helmet. Kinda looks like a k-pot without the 'fritz' flare.

• 3 weeks later...

Very interesting. Incredibly similar to the vests used by the Rhodesian Fireforce in the Bush war. I wonder if this was their inspiration.

• 3 years later...
On 4/25/2017 at 12:52 AM, sgtpeter said:

Funny, the boots were the first thing I noticed ... and then the helmet. Kinda looks like a k-pot without the 'fritz' flare.

My first thought was also   "Well, there go my jewels"

• 1 month later...

Posted this a while ago, it's from a cruise book of my father's, 1957. Looks like there were lots of vest being tested.

Ditta8thMarinesTraex1957_2.jpg

• 1 year later...

I used to have some USMC cruise books from the 50's.  saw some unusual equipment including armor creman helmets.  Wish I had kept the info for reference...

• 3 months later...

Very interesting topic here ! Are these vests kind of body armor / flak vest or they don't have any ballistic protection in them ?

USMC_COLLECTOR

I believe they would have used ceramic plates like the M51 and the M55

11 minutes ago, P-E said:

Very interesting topic here ! Are these vests kind of body armor / flak vest or they don't have any ballistic protection in them ?