My great grandma's WWII quilt

natebazooka

natebazooka

Ah, cool - thanks. That was bugging me that I still didn't have that corner filled out.

Big thanks on the other ones too. I'll have to do some reading about patch king

I think she got some of the patches herself. Several on the quilt are WWII era WWI Patch King repros. It is always possible that soldiers passed them on to her as well.

-Ski

The French patches are actually souvenir type for city,towns and provences. There is also a 2nd French Army with the rooster. One cornor is all British with 1st Army at tip then there is also 8th Army atleast twice on the quilt and Scottish dist in red and blue. The black cat is the 53 British div. The blue cross on the red shield is also British next to SHEAF and Ger navy anchor. Hope this helps fill in some blanks.

natebazooka

Definitely a big help, thanks. When you're talking about the French patches being souvenir, do you mean the ones I posted the close up of (verdun, skier guy) on the right, or also the ones in the yellow to the left of the EGA?

Yes,believe them to be souvenir type. The British and French patches most of those on quilt were available from Patch King and others like Roy Paris.

More corrections and additions. the Black Cat British patch is for the 56th Armd Div not 53rd. The red shield witht ehblue cross is for the 21st Army group HQ