US navy patches are the ww ll,korea, when??

militarymania

militarymania

what is the difference with regard to US Navy patches produced during ww ll and post war,,i have notices some produced on felt or wool-felt like material,but what about herringbone twill,ribbed cotton,etc,,also nee id's on these following patches,,,(garage sale finds today)..thanks all,,,Robert

post-3486-1224293687.jpg

post-3486-1224293759.jpg

Right arm ratings were eliminated "as in the white QMC" in 48 and the non rated marks were introduced then also with white of navy stripes for seaman red for engineering green for aviation and light blue for construction. The top one is Moulder fireman, the bottom ones are Airman Apprentice and Airman. Moulder was a new rating in 48. Back to the chevrons navy blue wool chevrons were used from 1913 the late 20's or so twill navy chevrons were used until 51 a little bit later adding the wearout period. You should get a copy of John Stacey's book on Navy Rating badges it is essential in interpeting Navy rating badges.

John

militarymania
thanks john,,,Robert

john,,is the first patch the moulder fireman or the second?,,what are the first 2?..I AM SO CONFUSED..LOL...Robert

I was just following how they appeared on the post but the key is 1 stripe is Recruit "rarely used" 2 stripes is Apprentice and 3 stripes is Seaman or Fireman or Airman or Constructionman. White or Navy stands for Seaman group Red stripes is Fireman group, Light blue stands for Construction and Green for Airman. Moulder is a former rating in the fireman group and is represented by foundry tools.

John