A HOOSIER DOOLITTLE RAIDER

BEAST

Amazing and outstanding! It must be an honor to have such a historical item in your care.

Is there any survivors of the raid yet? As of last August there was still one upright silver goblet. (National Air Force Museum in Ohio)

Andrew

Another of the Doolittle Raider with tie to Ft Wayne Indiana was Robert Clever from Ted Larsons #7 plane the Ruptured Duck. Clever was stationed at Baer Field Army Airbase in Nov. !942 when he was killed in an accident by Versailles Ohio.

Caseloadr, You are absolutely correct about Clever. I have a copy of the accident investigation report but its been years since I read through it.

Amazing and outstanding! It must be an honor to have such a historical item in your care.

Is there any survivors of the raid yet? As of last August there was still one upright silver goblet. (National Air Force Museum in Ohio)

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the comments. I believe that Doolittle's co-pilot, LTC Richard Cole, is still with us. IIRC, he was at SOS last February.

From a Hoosier expat now in Dallas, what an outatanding grouping. Glad to hear you are now the caretaker of Captain Miller's items. RIP Capt. Miller.

Al

Al, Thank you for the kind words. It is an honor to share Dick Miller's story.

• 10 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 5/21/2018 at 11:55 PM, caseloadr said:

Another of the Doolittle Raider with tie to Ft Wayne Indiana was Robert Clever from Ted Larsons #7 plane the Ruptured Duck. Clever was stationed at Baer Field Army Airbase in Nov. !942 when he was killed in an accident by Versailles Ohio.

Caseloadr, sorry for not respondeding earlier. I requested a copy of the crash report. It is sad and a little surprising to me how many of the raiders, after the raid, were killed, wounded, or captured.