A HOOSIER DOOLITTLE RAIDER

BEAST

In remembrance of the raid, I would like to share with the forum, the centerpiece of my collection and my displays. A little over 30 years ago, I was given these items by the family and still remain in contact with them. Some of the items shown in this thread still remain with the family and are marked as such. This being said, I hope you enjoy reading about Indiana's Doolittle Raider.

Enlisting in May, 1941, Richard Ewing (Bud) Miller (Fort Wayne, Indiana) trained to be a bombardier at Barksdale, Louisiana, receiving his commission as a second lieutenant on December 16, 1941.

Miller was assigned to the 37th Bomb Squadron, 17th Bomb Group based at Pendleton, Oregon. In early February, the Group was transferred to Columbia Army Air Base (CAAB) in Columbia, South Carolina for patrol duty on the East Coast. While in the process of moving to CAAB, the men were told that volunteers were needed that would require the highest degree of skill, be extremely hazardous and would be a great value to the war effort. Bud was one of these volunteers.

post-203-0-06682700-1492950038_thumb.jpg

On April 18th, at 0827 hours, as part of Crew #2 piloted by Travis Hoover, Miller’s B-25 launched from the deck of the USS Hornet directly behind the mission leader LTC James Doolittle. The crew followed Doolittle all the way in to Tokyo before they broke off to attack their target. “We went in at a fearful speed and were almost on our objective before we realized it.” recalled Miller. “Our pilot saw it first. Soon as he yelled, I saw it too. I opened the bomb bay doors and let fly.” Miller closed the bomb bay doors, Hoover turned the plane up into a sharp left bank heading for China.

After making a wheels-up landing, the crew was picked up by local guerrillas. Tung-Sheng Liu, an aeronautical engineer who spoke English served as their translator. Avoiding the Japanese, the crew was able to make it to Chunking where they met Madame Chiang Kai-shek, wife of Generalissimo Chiang Kai-shek and head of China’s air ministry. Miller, along with the other raiders, was presented with a letter of thanks from Madame Chiang Kai-shek and the Chinese Army, Navy, and Air Corps Medal, Class A, 1st Grade. Unfortunately, Miller’s Chinese medal was lost on the way home.

post-203-0-92037000-1492950629_thumb.jpg

post-203-0-56690600-1492950636_thumb.jpg

After leaving China, Bud’s traveled through India and other various countries before he finally arrived home where he was presented with the Distinguished Flying Cross.

post-203-0-61319100-1492950726_thumb.jpg

post-203-0-13039300-1492950741_thumb.jpg

post-203-0-00621700-1492950747_thumb.jpg

Bud returned to Barksdale to rejoin the 17th BG near the end of July. Assigned to the 438th Bomb Squadron, 319th Bomb Group (M), his reunion with the 17th was short lived. Equipped with the Martin B-26 Marauder, the 319th left in November and began operations at Maison Blanche, Algeria.

post-203-0-26859700-1492950822_thumb.jpg

post-203-0-38943500-1492950829_thumb.jpg

On January 22nd, Miller’s B-26, along with two others, attacked a large freighter in an area north of the Gulf of Tunis. Although the return fire was light and inaccurate Miller’s aircraft was struck by at least three 20 millimeter rounds, seriously wounding Bud in the head and shoulders. Suffering excruciating pain from the wounds, Captain Miller remained at his post, dropped his bombs and closed the bomb bay doors. This last action, closing the bomb bay doors, is credited with saving the lives of the crew. If Miller was unable to close these doors, the aircraft would not have been able to rejoin or keep up with the formation, placing it at serious risk. For this action, he was awarded the Silver Star.

post-203-0-25346700-1492950916_thumb.jpg

post-203-0-16613600-1492950924_thumb.jpg

Miller’s aircraft, along with two others, safely returned to Telergma where he was immediately taken to the base hospital. That night Bud Miller succumbed to his wounds. He was buried at El Alia Cemetery, Algiers, Algeria. On February 8th, Miller’s family received the telegram that all military families dread stating that their son died of wounds “…received in action in defense of his county.”

post-203-0-31936500-1492951327_thumb.jpg

(Courtesy of the Miller family)

post-203-0-52701900-1492950996_thumb.jpg

In 1949, Bud Miller's remains were returned home and he was buried in Lindenwood Cemetery in Fort Wayne,

post-203-0-77238100-1492951186.jpg

post-203-0-75695600-1492951122_thumb.jpg

Although his life was short, Bud Miller greatly contributed to America’s military success. The raid on Tokyo gave a psychological lift to America, while it forced Japan to rethink its strategy. His sacrifice in Africa set the stage for the eventual invasion of Europe. He truly was a Hoosier Hero.

post-203-0-80085700-1492951714_thumb.jpg

post-203-0-23068500-1492951720_thumb.jpg

post-203-0-00351700-1492951728_thumb.jpg

doinworkinvans

WOW!! This made my weekend. Thank you so much Beast for sharing this with us. Just an outstanding group to an even more outstanding soldier. May he rest in peace.

Erick

Thank you for posting this group and commemorating his service. I especially liked seeing the engraving on his decorations.

Kurt

Very nice tribute to Capt Miller and I understand why it's tops in your collection! It reminds me of another raider who died later in 1942 when he went to fly B-26 aircraft, but his death was due to an accident versus combat. That would be Capt Donald G. Smith.

The engraving pics are much appreciated.

Randy

Thanks to everyone who has replied. Remembering Bud Miller has been my pleasure. He was from the town where I grew up and every year I would visit and decorate his grave.

I am glad that the photos of the engravings were good enough to view. This was the first time that I tried to lay out the photos using MS PowerPoint. Saving a PP slide as jpg results in each image only being around 50 KB and you can maneuver the images as you see fit.

Brian Dentino

Erick, an absolute pleasure in reading/viewing this dedication of yours to another Hoosier Hero! Great items and a remarkable story. Thanks for bringing his sacrifice to us here so that he may be appropriately honored. RIP Captain Miller!

Erick, an absolute pleasure in reading/viewing this dedication of yours to another Hoosier Hero! Great items and a remarkable story. Thanks for bringing his sacrifice to us here so that he may be appropriately honored. RIP Captain Miller!

Thanks Brian!

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

From a Hoosier expat now in Dallas, what an outatanding grouping. Glad to hear you are now the caretaker of Captain Miller's items. RIP Capt. Miller.

Al

Another of the Doolittle Raider with tie to Ft Wayne Indiana was Robert Clever from Ted Larsons #7 plane the Ruptured Duck. Clever was stationed at Baer Field Army Airbase in Nov. !942 when he was killed in an accident by Versailles Ohio.