William T. Sampson

PeleliuMarine1944

PeleliuMarine1944

My name is Simon Sampson I am 14 years old, and I am a relative of Admiral William T. Sampson of the United States Navy. The Sampson family has a long history of Naval vets, with my dad serving, my cousins, and my grandparents, all served in the Navy. My question is, I was told a couple of months ago that one of Sampson's medals was sold on here, and I was just wondering if anyone had any pictures of it so I could show my family? Thank you in advance!

• 5 months later...

First off, congratulations on your lineage. That is pretty neat to be the descendent of Admiral Sampson and to have so many relatives who served.

The Sampson medal was named after your relative of course and awarded to Navy and Marine personnel. There have been many threads here on this forum showing these medals. Are you recalling the very medal awarded to Admiral Sampson himself, or one of the many "Sampson medals" that have been displayed and awarded to seaman and Marines? I think I recall seeing THE Sampson medal once, (the one awarded to Admiral Sampson) and cant remember if it was on this forum or somewhere else. You might try a search here under Sampson medal and see what pops up. Kevin

PeleliuMarine1944

First off, congratulations on your lineage. That is pretty neat to be the descendent of Admiral Sampson and to have so many relatives who served.

The Sampson medal was named after your relative of course and awarded to Navy and Marine personnel. There have been many threads here on this forum showing these medals. Are you recalling the very medal awarded to Admiral Sampson himself, or one of the many "Sampson medals" that have been displayed and awarded to seaman and Marines? I think I recall seeing THE Sampson medal once, (the one awarded to Admiral Sampson) and cant remember if it was on this forum or somewhere else. You might try a search here under Sampson medal and see what pops up. Kevin

Thank you very much for the help!

• 2 weeks later...

This is Admiral Sampson's Loyal Legion membership badge for service in the Civil War. I believe his Sampson Medal is now in a private collection outside the US.

post-10651-0-99311800-1508080819_thumb.jpg

PeleliuMarine1944

This is Admiral Sampson's Loyal Legion membership badge for service in the Civil War. I believe his Sampson Medal is now in a private collection outside the US.

Hi Adam! Thank you so very much for the photos! Definitely going to show them to my family, they'd love to see them! Do you have this medal?

Hi Adam! Thank you so very much for the photos! Definitely going to show them to my family, they'd love to see them! Do you have this medal?

Yes. I bought it some years ago from the dealer who originally bought all of Sampson's effects from an estate in Maine. This was prior to the Sampson Medal and papers being sold by George Harris.

PeleliuMarine1944

Oh wow! My dad and grandpa will love to hear that! Thank you so much Adam! You've really helped me a lot.